My last few outings...

Lip-ripper

It's been a while since I reported yet I've been fishing almost every weekend so here's a little catch-up.

Nipissing has been pretty solid this year, producing decent numbers right up until shad season and the water warming up. I've heard they have moved deep but haven't tried… yet…

Here's one of my classic sink shots for your perusal…

2012-06-11205538-1.jpg

Aside from the odd weeknight Nipissing trip, I've been focusing on figuring out the lake my cottage is on. My wife and I bought a little place in Quebec late August of last year and this is the first spring/summer season I've had out there so there is a lot to figure out.

IMG_20120703_081425.jpg

The lake produced good numbers of walleye and pike last fall and walleye and lakers in the winter but now came the chance to find out the rest of the story. I haven't been disappointed.

In the fall I had success trolling the flats near a river outflow but heard that in the summer they preferred shoals. Growing up on Nipissing, sand flats were all I fished so this shoal thing was new to me.

I think the walleye bite in general has been good this year as most people I've talked to have had success on a variety of baits and lures. Personally worms and jointed rapalas have been the ticket for me. Bass and walleye have been cruising the same areas so it's a treat to be able to fish both at once.

2012-07-20201523.jpg

Here are a couple victims from Saturday. (I don't usually keep bass but we had company and they requested it)

2012-07-202137262.jpg

A little piggy that had eyes bigger than his stomach too! (Eat your heart out Johnnyb)

2012-07-20212732.jpg

Later on Saturday I decided to cruise around for Lakers. We have been doing awesome for them this year catching between 5 and 10 per outing. One thing though is that the majority of them have been shakers. We'll catch one decent fish for every 3 or 4 shakers. I'm going to experiment with different depths and baits but I think the shakers will always remain.

We caught 6 between 2 of us in an hour and a half on Saturday and lost a seventh at the boat (the biggest of course), so the action was fast and furious. Here's a little guy I snapped a pic of.

2012-07-21091905.jpg

While trolling I found a shoal in the middle of the lake where the depth came up from 100 FOW to 28 and marked fish on it. Later that evening my buddy caught a walleye near it while trolling for lakers so I think I've found a new spot to try. Might be good in the winter too…

I tried briefly for Pike as I wanted to get a grand slam of species but alas it wasn't meant to be… Maybe next time.

After a relaxing weekend I get a call at 6 pm last night from a buddy that wanted to hit Nipissing for Bass and whatever else would hit. Why not! We caught a few smallmouth before succumbing to the allure of trolling. A few minutes in and I feel a tap. After a good hookset I feel the unmistakable mass of the freshwater drum at the end of my line. After a good little battle we got him up.

campcampcamp031.jpg

Nothing else came along and the sun then set on the evening and we called it a night… Good times

Can i enter a fish from Quebec? Its where i fish 80% of the time and is about 10km from the border...

Good point, kinda overloooked that little limitation-- oh well, can't blame a guy for tryin. dont suppose there's lake with some a few ks away is there?whistling.gif

Good point, kinda overloooked that little limitation-- oh well, can't blame a guy for tryin. dont suppose there's lake with some a few ks away is there?whistling.gif

Why cant he enter a Quebec Fish Rick ? I do it, and i live here.No rules against it thumbsup_anim.gif

actually Paul - you can't - we're just leading you on. At the end of the season, all your fish get split between the other teams (assuming you catch one bigger than that PB we saw anyway rofl2.gif ).

- but seriously - its in the rules dude. Gotta be caught in Ontario. A few exceptions for you permanent out of province anglers.

"Fish must be caught in waters of the the Province of Ontario (all of a body of water that lies at least partially within the boundaries of Ontario is considered Ontario waters; ie. all of Lake Erie is eligible). In the case of out of province members, fish must be caught in their home state or province or the waters previously outlined. Exceptions... no bass from California or Florida may be entered."

interpretation is of course why courts and lawyers exist but to me that says, nope to Trouty's fish?