Rod Holders for Muskie

Hi there,

I'm looking for your opinions on rod holders for muskie. My boat came outfitted with Scotty rod holders and I would like to know if anyone uses these rod holders for muskie trolling? They are plastic but seem to me like they would be durable enough to use on ski's.

A fellow I spoke with at the local tackle shop this weekend recommend down-east rod holders for muskies as this is what he uses. Would be interested to know what the other muskie hunters on the board think about rod holders.

Thanks everyone,

Millhouse2020

Scottys are a decent rod holder, but if u have any drag malfuntion when trolling at 5 plus miles an hr, then they will explode, and you lose a rod, reel, bait, and a fish. Also if you do any late fall trolling, plastic can get brittle in cold temps.The down east salty holders are much better suited to the strains of Musky fishing. ( plus they are esier to remove a rod with a lot of pressure on it. ). I wouldnt risk the Scottys, go get some saltys. They will last you forever.

I'll tell you what...not a lot of people know about these, but they are pretty much the only one you should consider. They're metal, and come in a few different styles, and are called

*looks up....reads other responses*

NEVER MIND rolleyes.gif

Now I know Scotty makes the orca and striker rod holder used out west on king salmon but they are a lot different from the normal Scotty's

I've used the Strikers for pickeral set-ups Mike and they work OK for that type of fishing or even smaller musky baits but I doubt they'd ever handle the pressure from baits like Plows or Frankies :lol:

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. Looks like I will be getting some down-east Salty's on my next trip to the tackle shop. I like the fact this model can be easily removed and transferred to another boat if you want. I also won't have to drill any holes in my boat.

This may be a stupid question but do I need to be concerned about the metal hardware damaging my rods and or reels?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input. Looks like I will be getting some down-east Salty's on my next trip to the tackle shop. I like the fact this model can be easily removed and transferred to another boat if you want. I also won't have to drill any holes in my boat.

This may be a stupid question but do I need to be concerned about the metal hardware damaging my rods and or reels?

ITS PRETTY SMOOTH METAL.IF YOU ARE CAREFUL, YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

If you plan on using the same rods for trolling and casting get the salty's rubber coated. I think you can get them from trojan. If you have separate trolling rods with foam handles you have no need to worry.

I have a down easter...but actually just wedge my rod in the boat seat when I'm trolling. I often troll at 8 or even close to 9 mph and I feel more comfortable having the rod wedged into the seat (my down easter is just a clamp on, not mounted)

Down East Salties are what I use for my Lk Ont wire divers, those dipsys pull hard and no issues with Salties.

Yes, they can be hard on the rod handles, I usually cradle the reel in Salties so only the hard reel seat comes in contact with the holder.

A plastic rod holder will fail sooner or later, it may cost you a rod & reel when it does.

Hi there,

I'm looking for your opinions on rod holders for muskie. My boat came outfitted with Scotty rod holders and I would like to know if anyone uses these rod holders for muskie trolling? They are plastic but seem to me like they would be durable enough to use on ski's.

A fellow I spoke with at the local tackle shop this weekend recommend down-east rod holders for muskies as this is what he uses. Would be interested to know what the other muskie hunters on the board think about rod holders.

Thanks everyone,

Millhouse2020

Folbe. Love 'em. I do use the locking feature when trolling, takes just a split second to unlock the holder. Rollie and Helen's has them. I bought direct from the company.

http://www.muskyshop.com/modules/cart/products.php/nav_id/22/page/1/id/1904/name/FolbeAdvantageRodHolders

http://www.folbe.com/

Andy

Looks like its down-easters for me then. I do have some seperate trolling rods I just acquired but would like to be able to use any of my rods in trolling if need be. Maybe I could coat them in a liquid rubber material or something or use some hockey tape to keep them from scarring up rods and reels. Im sure I can figure something out. It seems 99% of the muskie hunters swear by this model so I suppose I better listen up. I may still get the clamp on adapter for the scotty's as well since they are almost useless the way the previous boat owner set them up. You can only put the but end of the rod in the holder as they are set up now. It works OK for light trolling but i think I still risk loosing a rod and reel with them as is.

Thanks for all the input guys its very much appreciated! I hope to post again in the coming weeks with a pic of the big muskie I caught using these rod holders. :thumbsup_anim:

So I went to BPS and grabbed a couple Salty's about $40 a peice. Oddly enough, the guy at BPS says people have been buying em up this week, wonder if this thread had something to do with that?? LOL

Anyways, just wondering, is it safe to keep the rods in the Salty's while travelling from spot to spot without having to worry about them falling out?

So I went to BPS and grabbed a couple Salty's about $40 a peice. Oddly enough, the guy at BPS says people have been buying em up this week, wonder if this thread had something to do with that?? LOL

Anyways, just wondering, is it safe to keep the rods in the Salty's while travelling from spot to spot without having to worry about them falling out?

Im on my way to Toronto tomorrow and was going to stop in at BPS to pick up 2 of them. I hope there are some left for me... :unsure:

Im on my way to Toronto tomorrow and was going to stop in at BPS to pick up 2 of them. I hope there are some left for me... :unsure:

If BPS doesn't have any, just continue down to JB's. He's only a couple miles further and should have them in stock.

I'd call ahead, there was only one on the rack and he grabbed a second one from the back for me...

Thanks guys, the plan was to stop in at both if my fiance will let me. I think I have decided on a Calcutta TE over the Tranx for my new muskie stick and I was going to pick that up at JB's. I figured BPS would have the best price on the holders but if they are out I will see if JB's has any. The local shop had one but they wanted $50 so I figure i will save the $10 each if I can. A penny saved...

Thanks guys, the plan was to stop in at both if my fiance will let me. I think I have decided on a Calcutta TE over the Tranx for my new muskie stick and I was going to pick that up at JB's. I figured BPS would have the best price on the holders but if they are out I will see if JB's has any.

Your gonna be extremely happy with that TE, it's an incredible reel. I got mine at JB's a couple years back they were $130 CHEAPER than BPS.