sweet surprise

spincast

Couldnt make the Fish a thon today due to the usual commitments - but they were over by 11:00 so decided, after the let down of Friday's weather cancelling the scheduled meet-limey-and-show-him-Lake-O- fishing day I was in serious fishin' withdrawal. The web showed a short window of low wave action off Lake E this afternoon so decided to go for it., Haven't hit P Burwell all year.

1:00 by the time we're in 58FOW - best time of day for fishin walleyes as we all know

an hour and half into it and we have 2 knock offs, and G has a sheepie.

the winds start to pick up from the west and with them, the reports of fish being bagged on the radio

About 15 minutes before we pull up and I notice the dispey rod twitch - twice - then nothing, The winds were starting to pick up so I put it down to boat bounce

When I go to pull in the dispey I whip it to make the dispey release. Weight. I pull again. Weight. Thinking - well, its a new dispey, maybe I tightened the release screw too much and now have to fight the dispey the whole 250 ft in? I felt for headhakes, just in case - but nothing. So, I start the pull, raise, reel; pulll, raise , reel routine. you can do that a lot with 250 foot out.

About 30 foot from the boat, all of a sudden a flash of gold behind the dispey - "G GET THE NET!"

Then a walleye gob opened wide broaches the surface

The poor thing was too tired to be revived. Normally I would never bring one this big home.

P1250344.jpg

P1250350.jpg?t=1342913610

measured 27 inches and was FAT. Chris - I will send the team 7 passport photo through shortly.

That's a BIG walleye!! SOunds like it fought like a wet-sock though haha.

yeah, pretty good description Chad - at least three times I thought to myself "could this be a fish? Give me something to say you're a fish" Absolutley nothing till he came to the top, and then a couple hearted head shakes. When he hit ( assuming those twitches were hits) he didnt even change the angle of the rod - I watched it as I almost yanked the rod out of the holder on the twitches. Can almost imagine him swimming along whistling whistling.gif " and talking like Homer -" hmmmm perch snack."

If a 27 inch bow or salmon that fat had hit that the rod would have been a-rockin and the drag a-clickin.

Edited by spincast

Rick

Nice fish! They are all that big out there. Next time you go down instead of Burwell go a little further west to Port Bruce and give Greg at North Erie Marina a try. He and his staff are truly awesome...$10 launch and the get wet not you, $5/scoop of minnows for mega sized perch, usually get 3 dozen minnows/scoop.

Have not been down there yet. Maybe 2nd week of August!

http://www.weblocal.ca/north-erie-marina-trailer-park-ltd-aylmer-on.html

Michael

Very nice surprise there! I remember reading one of the guys post on here that they loosen the drag (and of course leave the clicker on) so that you are hearing about one click every 5 seconds. If the clicking speeds up at all, reel in the walleye. So weird that they can hit a moving lure that gently dunno.gif

Very nice surprise there! I remember reading one of the guys post on here that they loosen the drag (and of course leave the clicker on) so that you are hearing about one click every 5 seconds. If the clicking speeds up at all, reel in the walleye. So weird that they can hit a moving lure that gently dunno.gif

interesting idea - may have to try that next time out. I'm used to setting it so that a salmon or bow will be able to drag it and still set the hook. Could make hooking a 'bow up a lot more challenging? But hey - worth a try, thanks