My First Turkey Hunt

Entropy

My First Turkey Hunt

Well, I took yesterday off to try turkey hunting for the first time, with my buddy Mike.

I woke up at 3 am, showered (oddly I feel warmer, if I’m good and clean, and this was to be a cool morning sitting still in the bush), stopped at Tim Hortons in Port Perry then headed out. Met up with Mike at 4:30am. It was a beautiful morning. It seemed like I had not been out to enjoy a morning like this in ages, but I guess the last mornings would have been when out water fowling, or November morning.... naww it couldn’t have been that long.

We choose our spots, put a couple of decoys out and hunkered down. I was getting a little board and related turkey hunting to fly-fishing (another I have never tried). Unlike other hunts, you just sit there, trying to be completely silent; you can’t talk, and don’t even get any excessive from walking. I was just about to doze off when a Jake or a Hen came out of a tree directly above me. How I had not flushed it upon arrival is beyond me. It landed about 20 feet out from my decoy, just on the other side of a fence with a few tufts of grass intertwined throughout it. I shifted, moved a little able to see it’s head, but it’s breast was still hidden. Pull the trigger I couldn’t; I just could not make out a beard. I lost sight of it as it moved a little closer to my decoy. Next thing it is 30 feet down the trail to my left running towards my buddies decoy. You should have seen it run! It looked like it was drunk, running all stupid and what not. Majestic, not this road runner. Halfway between our two locations it darted into the bush.

My buddy saw 2, one was too far off, and the other he too could not see a beard.

At 10am I called it a day; my buddy, Mike, kept on, but with only similar success.

Would I turkey hunt again .... Yes. Am I going to try fly-fishing? ... Not this year..

Entropy