Fishing spots

Rich

Why are there so many more people fishing small waterbodies that never used to see pressure? Is it just the introduction of detailed satellite and terrain maps available to everyone? The internet? Or os fishing simply more popular now?

I think the internet plays a large role in this. Once a spot gets mentioned on a board like this the pressure really does go up, I've seen it myself a couple of times.

Unfortunately too many of those spots could be in trouble if people don't use a little more common sense, they just can't handle the harvest.

Edited by timmeh

I think the internet plays a large role in this. Once a spot gets mentioned on a board like this the pressure really does go up, I've seen it myself a couple of times.

Unfortunately too many of those spots could be in trouble if people don't use a little more common sense, they just can't handle the harvest.

:good:

Whole populations of people in the Middle east were starting revolutions with the aid of internet and 'smart' phone communications...Its literally driving human social evolution...Access to satelite maps, and busy message boards like this one are going to have an effect...

What people need to do is go out fishing and find a real good spot. Then run back online and post all the pictures and the location so everyone else can go there. Then wonder why the fishing sucks at there spots. :sarcasm:

Any fishing spot you talk about is someones favorite spot.So you are ruining there spot. Some of the people that have been on this site for a long time still continue to do this stupid move.

I have to agree with the internet comment or even just sharing information verbally. Word gets around faster than you think and your favourite spots may eventually look like a traffic. I am very careful these days about the specifics of the info I give out, I will give some of the answers to the test but I wont take it for you... Want to know what baits and tackel Im using, fine, general location, ok maybe, but GPS or map coordinataes, I dont think so. Go out, burn some gas and put some effort in yourself. People that are not willing to do that should not call themselves fisherman, hunters, outdoorsmen or whatever IMO. You dont want it bad enough if you are not willing to do that. The amount of info out there now on the net, television, magazines etc is enough to get you well on your way and elminate a ton of trial and error...

I blame Google Earth.

I find even myself always checking out the lakes people mention and report about, not necessarily because I want to go there, but just out of general curiousity and sometimes to get a better feel for the report itself. The point being, the technology is there and people are going to use it.

I live in the same area as Rich and I also cant believe the amount of people I see fishing these small lakes/ponds anymore...With all this new info out there on the internet/forums I think the fishing regs need a SERIOUS update for small bodies of water. Very low limits or even strictly catch and release otherwhise these bodies of water they wont be able to handle this added pressure.

I dont disagree with sharing the small waters. I love seeing people catch big fish in spots i fish. It builds my confidence in also landing a hawg. The problem comes when the food fishermen move off the big lakes for a quick snack closer to home. You're right. They cant handle the harvest, especially the sickeningly common practice of harvesting large or trophy sized breeding fish.

Don't believe the hype.

Having fished hardcore for last 25 yrs. I have seen numbers of people fishing dwindle.

Back in early 80's would count 90-100 boats fishing north of Pigeon Lakes Big Island on a summer Saturday night.

Now there might be a dozen max at same time.

A few years ago i would post spots close to GTA with good catches.

Never saw an increase due to internet post or whatever.

There is no increase due to internet overall.

Look at page views numbering 500-1000, mostly return visits.

Maybe about 10 people might actually fish spot because of post.

Whether they are successful is another thing.

+1

I've had a few local holes that I frequent that just started getting busier.

Last weekend though was just ridiculous. I knew it was the start of free disgusting week, but the one hole I thought for sure would be quiet - had about 20 lines in the water - all of which were keeping EVERYTHING they could land.