A Swing and a Miss!

tbayboy

Spent yesterday with the yak on scugog. Nothing like a zillion degree temperatures and no wind to wear you down. It was helped by lots of blow ups that just refused to get pinned. Kind of got the feeling the bass were just trying to get rid of the damn frog so that they could back to their naps - wouldn't blame them :)

Anyhow, always better than being at work and I got a bit of it on film for fun:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" data="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786"'>http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> <param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=70a556c312&photo_id=7515496268&hd_default=false"></param> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786"></param> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=70a556c312&photo_id=7515496268&hd_default=false" height="360" width="640"></embed></object>

Hope you enjoy :)

PS: My vacation continues all of next week - if anyone wants to get on the water around the GTA let me know.

Great camera angle....and it sure looks like they were taking it....wonder why they were coming undone? I was gonna say not enough leverage from the sitting position, but then you stood up, and obviously your results were the same. Frogs can be frustrating at times for sure.

Hi Craig - yeah it's a gopro on a scotty mount. Need to pick up a pole to get it above since you could only see what happened on one side.

Johnny I was wondering if it was the lure as well (always blame the lure right?) I had several that I was sure were pinned that came out but All I had were 3 of the same brand (live target large frogs) so I couldn't try anything else out. Next time I'll bring a mix and see if it helps. I thought it might have been leverage as well so spent about half the day standing and didn't do any better. Ah well - still fun :)

Edited by TbayBoy

Well, I've used the frog on two different occasions this year, once with my cousin, and once by myself.

The first day, I had a Booyeah Padchrasher, and I don't think a single fish came unhooked. 4 or 5 fish....long casts, fairly heavy cover. I missed a couple, but don't believe I had ever hooked them. My cousin used a LiveTarget that day, and had 4 or 5 hookups, and did not land a single one. Every time, the lure came back with a good amount of weeds on the hook.

The second day, on my own, I decided to give the LiveTarget some love....first fish absolutely inhaled it....wasn't getting off no matter what. 2nd fish was hooked, but then, into the weeds and I ended up with a clump of salad.

Don't know if it's anything more than coincidence....certainly not a very scientific comparison, as my cousin and I were using different rods, line, etc. But the LiveTarget hooks are wider than the Booyeah..maybe by half an inch. dunno.gif

Hi Craig - yeah it's a gopro on a scotty mount. Need to pick up a pole to get it above since you could only see what happened on one side.

Johnny I was wondering if it was the lure as well (always blame the lure right?) I had several that I was sure were pinned that came out but All I had were 3 of the same brand (live target large frogs) so I couldn't try anything else out. Next time I'll bring a mix and see if it helps. I thought it might have been leverage as well so spent about half the day standing and didn't do any better. Ah well - still fun :)

I find Spro makes a great frog maybe a little costly compared to some but they work well. Don't set the hook the very second that the fish hits the frog. Give it a chance to take the frog down, and then set the hook. Otherwise, the fish will be sucking in water and you will pull the frog out of its mouth before it has a hold of the frog.Don't think that because you tried to set the hook and the frog flies into your boat that is the end of it. Pitch the frog right back to that spot and more than likely the fish will strike it again,slow down on the hook I know its hard took me awile to get the timeing right , when you see the hit its hard not start setting . Fun way to fish

Can you fly fish from a ky ack? LOL

Serious.

Great vid Sean.

I am looking at buying a yak now. Was leaning towards a float tube,but I,m thinking universal.

You look like a stocky guy like me. :whistling: How is the balance? If you tip out,easy boarding?

I'm 180, 5' 7" with maybe a beer or two too many making me a bit forward heavy :) Balance is pretty good - it's a double v hull so you put one foot in each v and then just roll with things. That said if you go over it's a whine to get into because it's not a sit on top so it's basically the same as a canoe from that respect. There's a great discussion about it on one of the yak forums (sorry if this link shouldn't be here: http://www.yakfisher.net/smffiles/index.php?topic=6604.0)

I used to have issues with frogs but not anymore. I use a 7'6 heavy rod with 50 lb braid and a 7.1:1 ratio reel. It is difficult to set hook like you should in a yak. When I set hook I cross their eyes. I would have switched to a texas rigged senko if the frogs were not hooking up. Cool view from camera for sure.

Can you fly fish from a ky ack? LOL

Serious.

Great vid Sean.

I am looking at buying a yak now. Was leaning towards a float tube,but I,m thinking universal.

You look like a stocky guy like me. :whistling: How is the balance? If you tip out,easy boarding?

You sure can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQpQqvVbFLw

Wow, cool video. Nicely done.

With the angle you are fishing from in the yak I think you really need to beef up the rod, add some length and use braid IMO. You have to WHAM that hook home. Tough as you ave little leverage in a yak but I really don't think you set hard enough, you just liftd up on them and the thick aguge hook never got in. When a fish blows up, lower the rod to the water then slam it back, try to get the fish up out of the junk and hold the rod high. You need a real heavy rod as a big fish will dig in the junk and if you don't get it up then your pulling it through a jungle.

This is how I fish in a bass boat standing up and it can be a challenge, can only imagine in a yak.

I use a 8ft H, 65lb braid, and a very hard hookset to get the fish up and surfing back to the boat.

Keep the video coming

Edited by Harrison