musky net

tomkat

I would like to get a musky net possibly folding or collapsible for storage in boat. I have the lucky strike cradle which tends to become a tangled mess especially with treble hooks. How big across does it need to be for the welfare of the fish, ease of use,and storage? Does anyone have brackets or holders they use to keep things oranized? Which models are people happy with? Thanks

If you want folding, stowmaster or frabill. I have the frabill 36 x 38 and it's a great net. The bag is too long (almost ridiculously so), but this is better than too short.

If hook tangles in the net are your biggest concern, get one of the non-folding frabills (like the big game) that come with a larger hole-sized, rubberized mesh. Far fewer hook tangles.

Other options are beckman and loki, but neither folds as far as I know and both have smaller, softer, tangly mesh.

Probably the 3 best makes of musky nets are Frabil, Beckman and Stowmaster, but as far as I know Stowmaster is the only folding musky net, but anyone that uses them says their pretty good.

As far as size goes, it's a personal choice but the bigger the better for the size of fish your gonna be getting.

Just remember though, that if you fish alone, the bigger the net, the harder it is to use with one hand while you work the fish with the rod in the other hand.

A cool thing I saw recently wast a bracket to place the net into after hooking a musky. I was watching an old Steve Heiting video, and after netting a fish he would snap the handle of the net into a bracket, it seemed really convenient. As far as a folding net when fishing alone goes I would make sure that the net is ready to go when I got in the boat, as I would not want to unfold a stowmaster while trying to fight a large fish. Folding nets are great to use with two people in the boat, but if you are fishing alone how much room do you really need?

A cool thing I saw recently wast a bracket to place the net into after hooking a musky. I was watching an old Steve Heiting video, and after netting a fish he would snap the handle of the net into a bracket, it seemed really convenient. As far as a folding net when fishing alone goes I would make sure that the net is ready to go when I got in the boat, as I would not want to unfold a stowmaster while trying to fight a large fish. Folding nets are great to use with two people in the boat, but if you are fishing alone how much room do you really need?

I just hang mine from my salty while I deal with the toothy critters...