tightening prop nut

Rizzo

Was putting my prop back on tonight, It seemed to be tightening up well, but then when I went for that extra quarter turn on the prop nut, it actually got looser (like I had stripped it). Is it possible to strip something like that? I could see the hole for the cotter pin, so I did put it in and the prop seems reasonably snug, just don't know what happened there? Everything fine or did I just ruin my fishing for tomorrow? I had the motor in gear while I was turning it if this means anything.

I had a 1983 Merc 18hp that did exactly the same thing. While tightening it up, without a LOT of effort, it would loosen up. Before each trip I did a quick hand check of the nut and it never ever came off. I always had a spare prop handy just in case, but never had to use it.

Could be the prop wasn't seated all the way on the shaft and that was just it slipping the last bit to seat it. The retainer/cotter pin will keep it from falling off if it's not quite all the way tight. That's it's job. ;)

that was my thought too

Edited by Terry

Bing Bing Bing we have a winner, OFC to the rescue again. Couldn't take the suspense...pulled the pin back out, tighten another revolution or so and NOW its tight. You guys were right, was just shifting I guess...maybe that's what Cliff's motor was doing too!

Bing Bing Bing we have a winner, OFC to the rescue again. Couldn't take the suspense...pulled the pin back out, tighten another revolution or so and NOW its tight. You guys were right, was just shifting I guess...maybe that's what Cliff's motor was doing too!

Interesting! Could very well have been the problem!