a question about sandflies NF

you can prevent with repellents high in deet. suntan lotions and especially oils keep them off somewhat. when your feet are covered in dry sand try to make a habit of brushing them off quickly.

treatment - clean the area that is bit thouroughly - even go so far as alcohols or peroxide - this will prevent them getting too bad and reduce itching..afterbite type stuff works too.

if they get nasty or scabbed clean with lots of peroxide - it softens the scab and gets underneath. antibacterial ointments will keep you from coming home with something worse.

If you find the sandflies are coming into the cottage we've found it helpful to turn on the outside lights and reduce the indoor lighting. They are attracted to lights so indoor lighting brings them in. Not many cottages have mesh fine enough to stop sandflies and if they do, you don't get much ventilation.

Dan O.

i just came back from a week fishing up in the ottawa river,pembroke area and the sandflies were having fun eating us up there they are bad this year...i just used muskol and it worked pretty good,also vinegar sprayed on your legs and ankles works too !!!!

Bring a fan for blowing air across where you are sitting it keeps them from having an easy landing zone.

Art

We do that up here on the back deck all the time Art and your right, it works wonders for keeping the bugs away.

We do that up here on the back deck all the time Art and your right, it works wonders for keeping the bugs away.

People at the trailer park laughed at me for installing a ceiling paddle fan on my wooden awning above my deck.

Guess where they’re sitting on a hot summer night when the mosquitoes are out in full force. :whistling:

They can’t believe how well it works; let alone the nice breeze coming from it.

Dan.