LOTW Sandy Blackhawke island Camp

cowanjo

Fishgreg and I are going in July - we will put a day by day review of LOTW here as i know many of our friends will be interested and I hope all will enjoy. We are looking for any help and advice we can get. Thanks in advance for any assistance

John

Edited by cowanjo

Bill Sandy is a legendary musky guy up there. I'd do a day or two with a guide to learn the local patterns. Its costing how much to go up, you may as well drop another couple hundred each to get to REALLY enjoy it. I'm green with envy. I miss LOTW.

We are looking for the quickest way. I am sure that there are a bunch of great detours and places we could visit, but the focus on this trip is fishing the lake of the woods. The sooner we get back the sooner we can musky hunt back on the home water.

Anyone have recommendations on where to stop along the way? We are crossing over at Sarnia. Hoping to leave on Thursday at noon and get to the lake by Saturday, although would not be disappointed if we got there Friday night.

I do the drive from Dryden to London at least 2 times a year. We usually take the North Shore route, but that's usually in the fall and winter during the off season. At the time of year your going, I'd recommend crossing a Sarnia/Port Hope, heading up towards Makinaw and then head west along the South Shore. The only draw back is they're just state hwys, not interstates and you do have to slow down a a lot of small towns along the way, but time wise it's no longer then the North Shore. If you leave a good time and don't mind putting in a long day, you shouldn't have a problem making Duluth your over night stop. After that, you'd cross back into Canada at International Falls/Fort Frances and head up 71 to 17 and then 17 west to Kenora. Remember bridge tolls at Blue Water Bridge, Makinaw Bridge and even the little bridge at International Falls. International Falls will charge you $6 US to cross the small bridge near the mill.

Edited by Old Man

Definitely get Bill to take you out for a day or two if your budget allows. I've never fished the Northwest Angle area but fished Sabaskong years ago. July is the most popular time for musky anglers on the woods but there's LOTS of water.

My good friend here in Michigan has an uncle who lives on the Angle and helped Bill build the cabins at Blackhawk Island. My buddy went up to visit him a few summers ago (in july). As a favor Bill took my friend PJ out musky fishing in his old bass boat for a few hours and put him on his first musky.

PJ also went out with Bill's father Les the next day and landed a couple more.

Enjoy your trip and good luck!PJ.jpg