An old report but new to OFC

gordy28

Hey there

As a new poster but frequent reader I thought I would post a report about a trip from 2009

My first and last big trip (shortly thereafter I was married, then came my daughter)

We stayed at Island 10 Lodge on Lady Evelyn lake

Trip was the first Saturday in September - unbelievable weather - maybe not the best fishing weather but amazing summer weather in Sept - average temps of 26 - 29 degrees, sunny but with enough breeze to avoid being uncomfortable - put it this way - every night before dinner we swam right in front of our cabin to cool down

I'd give Island 10 an 8 out of 10 and would (say will) go back in the near future

Island 10 is a great lodge IMO - nice cabins, good boats, good food and unbelievable dock service

5 of us went and we had a huge cabin with two showers that made getting ready in the AM a breeze

Id give - limited pictures I was opted to fish solo for most of the trip

Onto the fishing - Ken was very helpful - we found walleye fishing tough in the high sun but did find one great spot for the daytime within a few hundred yards of the lodge

We mainly focused on bass and pike during the day and fished walleye at night

Had two excellent spots for walleye at dusk (not many huge ones but a limit every night if we wanted of fish outside the slot - worm harnesses trolled with a few split shot above the leader was by far the best walleye bait

Tons of bass spots - the lake is huge, stump filled bays, deep main lake structure, huge weedy flats - best bets for bass were wacky rigged senkos, tube jigs and bomber fat free shads in crayfish patterns (also lots of incidental bass on the worm harness

For pike - any weedy, stumped filled bay proved productive - best bets were spinner baits, jerk baits and weirdly enough our biggest (34 incher) came on a rubber frog - again lots of incidentals on the worm harness

Funny - I brought tons of worm harnesses based on the lodge owners advice pre trip - say 15 or so - so did the other guys and by our last day we were all sweating our favourite

We loved it -getting pumped for our trip this September to Brennan Harbour Lodge on the North Channel of Lake Huron -4 of the last group going

Here's some pics:

[im]http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t367/gordy28ca/IMG_0083.jpg[/img]

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0068_1.jpg

Was it -2 for the 1 hour long lecture Ken gives on the transport barge on the way to the dam? :blahblah1:

Actually, it's not that bad and I think he does it to kill time waiting on other people unloading/loading up.

Nice report as well. I stayed at Island 10 a couple of years ago. I'd probably rate it the same - 8/10. Although, for whatever reason Island 10 charges almost $300 less per person compared to the other lodges, so it should be 8/10 + 1 if that makes sense, lol. I also want to go back.

Was it -2 for the 1 hour long lecture Ken gives on the transport barge on the way to the dam? :blahblah1:

Actually, it's not that bad and I think he does it to kill time waiting on other people unloading/loading up.

Nice report as well. I stayed at Island 10 a couple of years ago. I'd probably rate it the same - 8/10. Although, for whatever reason Island 10 charges almost $300 less per person compared to the other lodges, so it should be 8/10 + 1 if that makes sense, lol. I also want to go back.

A little- actually two things - food was okay - but not great, heavy, pre packaged and limited selection and the water - out of the 5 guys 4 of us had bad stomachs the first few days from the drinking water - once we started ignoring water and having beer or gatorade we were fine. Ken was good - but for most of the above he told white lies - I specifically asked about flexibility with meals, did we need to bring in our own water and pop etc - we were told no - eat when you want, water is fine and we have pop... Ken was great - but next time I"ll pack differently knowing the true score

But as you say little things based on the price - and the location - I like that you can fish both sections of the lake with relative ease

Not sure which road we accessed from - basically they pick you up pon the Montreal River at Mowats landing and they boat you in

Cheers

Gordy

A little- actually two things - food was okay - but not great, heavy, pre packaged and limited selection and the water - out of the 5 guys 4 of us had bad stomachs the first few days from the drinking water - once we started ignoring water and having beer or gatorade we were fine. Ken was good - but for most of the above he told white lies - I specifically asked about flexibility with meals, did we need to bring in our own water and pop etc - we were told no - eat when you want, water is fine and we have pop... Ken was great - but next time I"ll pack differently knowing the true score

But as you say little things based on the price - and the location - I like that you can fish both sections of the lake with relative ease

Not sure which road we accessed from - basically they pick you up pon the Montreal River at Mowats landing and they boat you in

Cheers

Gordy

That's too bad about the water. It's not an uncommon story, so we always bring some water with us. When we were at Island 10 I didn't think the food was too bad, it wasn't 5 star or anything, but still beat cooking and cleaning. There always seemed to be plenty to eat as well. The food at Garden Island was similar (I'd also give GI Lodge an 8 or 8.5/10), but when we went they didn't have a chef on staff, which I believe they do now.

We switched back to housekeeping now anyway as we actually like simple foods like a BBQ steak or a burger, which you don't even get on most American Plans.

When I go back, I'd most likely try Red Pine or Ellen Island, since I have not been to either place and read great reviews of both.

That's too bad about the water. It's not an uncommon story, so we always bring some water with us. When we were at Island 10 I didn't think the food was too bad, it wasn't 5 star or anything, but still beat cooking and cleaning. There always seemed to be plenty to eat as well. The food at Garden Island was similar (I'd also give GI Lodge an 8 or 8.5/10), but when we went they didn't have a chef on staff, which I believe they do now.

We switched back to housekeeping now anyway as we actually like simple foods like a BBQ steak or a burger, which you don't even get on most American Plans.

When I go back, I'd most likely try Red Pine or Ellen Island, since I have not been to either place and read great reviews of both.

Agreed - food is okay - but heavy and that with the dicey water made for a bad combo!

Ive done Ellen Island - good cabins - but our challenge was - huge cold front, first time on the lake and the folks at Ellen were not much help re spots, tips etc. other challenge was that its just outside the river (closest lodge to the dam) so for our good spots it was a long run in a 16 foot boat with a 20 horse

Have heard good things about Red Pine - right near our best walleye spot for numbers of eaters :)