Cameras + Trout Nets

GreenCanada

So instead of spamming the board with multiple short posts. I wanted to pose two questions to those interested.

1) What kind of camera do you use to take great photos of your catches and why that choice? I'm wondering because I currently have a pretty nice point and shoot Canon, but I've always been pretty paranoid about dropping it in the water while wrestling monster trout. Do many of you use "waterproof" cameras, and if so, do you notice a significant decrease in the quality of the pictures? Also, I've been considering investing in a GoPro camera. Is there a lot of other "pieces" required to use it underwater? Also, what are your general thoughts on GoPro? I will be doing my homework on it, but I just wanted to get some opinions off people who have actually used it.

2) I'm looking at buying a decent trout net for river fishing. I've looked around and the best I can find are from Crappy Tire and have low quality wooden handles and knotted black mesh that doesn't seem very gentle. Ideally, what I would like to find is a quality wood handled net, with a rubberized mesh. Does anyone know where I could find something like that in the GTA?

Cheers!

I believe for trout nets cotton netting is preffered and I thin kthey have them at lebarons as well as basspro.

As for a camera, I have two, a Dslr and a point and shoot. The point and shoot is waterproof and lives in my tackle bag. Its an Olympus uTough about a year old. works fine for what I expect out of it. anything I want a nice picture of I plan ahead and bring the good camera.

I bought a Fuji FinePix XP50 specifically for outdoors stuff (primarily fishing). Someone in another thread commented on the quality being quite good, so I guess it's alright. I don't think the pics are as nice as my Canon P&S, but that cam isn't waterproof. :)

Here's a quick test clip I shot from my canoe just by sticking my hand in the water. This is near the boat launch. The water is kinda greenish, and sometimes the camera filters it out.. The shifting in color is kinda annoying, but it doesn't always do that. I'm not sure if there's a setting I can toggle to make it consistent or not, but honestly, underwater video is not the primary reason I bought it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQMFxvXyE3k

I just use my camera phones for quick pics. Regarding nets, I was recommended the Measure Net and they sell them at Bass Pro Shop. I purchased the the largest one that has an extendable handle. It's not too heavy either and I'm sure I will use it a lot.

I came across this video to give you an idea:

The net retails for around $44.

Wow, thanks for the video Dana. I know what you mean about the underwater video quality, but like you, the main purpose would be for taking above water pics with the likelihood of splashing.

I agree cotton would likely be the preferred style, but the ones I've seen that aren't rubber have pretty abrasive knots. On second thought, I think those ones with abrasive knots might be plastic meshing.

I might be stopping by BP on the weekend, so if I see something I'll update. Just in case someone finds this post later on.

Oh, and I'll be checking out the custom net site, as quality is my primary focus.

Thanks again! Any other tips, I'd love to hear!

I got a Frabil rubber net from BPS - the mesh is quite large and I think that helps to avoid removing too much of the fishes slime, they also sell the regular knotless cotton ones too. Alternatively Wilsons in Fergus will have something that fits the bill.