I got Gold

hammercarp

Sure is purdy, Lorne!

Isn't it amazing how goldfish were able to adapt to their environment. They're in so many water bodies, yet the average person seldom catches even a glimps of their golden little selves, if at all.

Lures and live bait pass by these little jewels everyday without even anglers aware of their presence, since incedental catches are so few.

I was targeting their bigger cousins and using a 2/0 hook.

When I was a kid there where a lot more goldfish in the harbour than there are now. I can remember seeing schools of over 30. A few years ago I saw an osprey get one back at Valley Inn. I believe I read that they have been in our waters in North America since the 1830's.

Lorne that is nuts seeing a school of 30. The most I have seen was about 10 or 15 in a school and that was right by the MBYC.

The Korean guys fish for them there and over by the boat launch. They use 13 ft. telescopic poles that can cost a lot. The line is attached to the end of the pole, there is no reel. The floats they use are very long and slender. Some are real works of craftsmanship.They have a lot of fun. Every once in a while a big common carp will show up and just own them.

A friend and fellow fire fighter has a built in pool that the liner is shot.....he never repaired it but it still holds lots of water...years ago he put in some gold fish.....I believe they are KOI as the tails are very long....they are THRIVING in that pool with a population between 100-200 fish....guys go there and catch some for their own back yard small ponds each year...