MNR stock Kashagawigamog

Toad Hunter

So I read in the Haliburton Echo, the MNR have stocked Kashagawigamog with 1500 Kingscote and Killala lakers !! :clapping: (here's the link - http://www.haliburtonecho.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3570327 ) this is great, as if I wasn't anxious enough to get back up there on a regular basis with my "new" trailer, and "new" boat, but now, this just makes me giddy. Even more excited that they are "mature" and thus increasing their chances at survival and (fingers crossed) breeding :D.

well then lets hope they don't get em all before "the fall" when they suggest they will be garlic butter worthy. The article said "after consuming local vegetation" - is this because the stocked fish are feed pellets ? (might be a silly question just curious) I plan on releasing most if not all I catch anyways, I'm about a 95% CPR kinda guy myself (catch, photo, release)

I dont know about toast... 1500 is not a big number for the size of kash

no, 1500 isn't many for Kash, but I'm pretty sure the MNR stopped stocking fish in lakes with natural reproduction, the premise being that the stocked fish will interbreed with the natural fish making the population less fit

If you are a resident or cottager you may want to read the LKO Lake report at

http://lko.on.ca/frameset/images/3/KLRFinal.pdf

The details are useful for fisherpeople.

The stocking history is outlined on page 21. They are not certain that the Lake Trout were native or introduced which surprised me.

Fish stocking history

It is important to understand that stocking does not increase biodiversity

or carrying capacity of a lake but may alleviate fishing pressure through

supplementing supplies. Lake Trout (in the thousands) were stocked from 1942 to 1966, with the only

recent stocking in 2009. Small mouth bass and yellow pickerel were stocked in the 1950s and 60s.

Walleye were introduced from Lake Simcoe (previously absent from the lake) and stocked in the millions

from 1952 to 1965. It is unclear if lake trout were present in the system before stocking; however both

walleye and lake trout have become successful naturalized and prized species in the chain.

If you are a resident or cottager you may want to read the LKO Lake report at

http://lko.on.ca/frameset/images/3/KLRFinal.pdf

The details are useful for fisherpeople.

Nice report. I was surprised there wasn't much discussion about the golf courses. Wouldn't these be a large source of phosphorous runoff?? I don't really know, but I assume they use plenty of fertilizer and pesticides. Anyway, that's another topic...

Anyway, it's nice to see the lake getting some love. I only had the opportunity to fish there once during the winter - targeted walleye and caught herring and musky, go figure. I always wanted to go back and try for some musky in the fall sometime.