Problem with Pedstal bases in Crestliner

Fang

Pulled the tarp off the boat this weekend and got a bit of a suprise. All around the edge of the 3 pedastal bases on the floor of the boat (not on the decks) was a white powdery deposit. I took 1 of the bases out and found that the aluminum is starting to pit or corrode away and this deposit seems to be aluminum rust(?).

I'll try and post a picture later but any other Lund, Crestliner, Princecraft,..... owners out there ever run across this. More important is there anything I can do to salvage the bases. I took a wire brush to one base and it cleaned up but I want to know how to keep it from continuing.

The bases are Attwood 2 3/4" straight stem which are now very hard to find.

If it is the same bases that the Legends used to have, say good riddance to them anyway.

Check for some kind of electrical ground issue to make sure you are not sending a current through the boat. This can cause bad things to happen to the aluminum ( I think Irishfield can give you all the correct and accurate info on that).

You can clean up and spray the surface of the metal with any kind of oxidation inhibitor...likely there is one type that is preferred over the others and again, I would chat with Irishfield about that..

Paul...corrosion! Most likely caused from the wet carpet wicking into the alum base and the stainless screws holding it down cause dissimilar metal corrosion...basically forming a battery and eating your pedestals.

Take them off and take the scotchbrite pads to them, or aluminum oxide sandpaper. Do not use a wire brush or wheel as it will imbed metal particles in the alum and they will rust. Clean it up the best you can and then etch it with a good alkaline cleaner or phosphoric acid. I'd then alodine it, and if you were close I'd lend you a bottle, but you can probably skip the alodine. Now as soon as they are dry from the rinsing off of the etch/acid get a coat of epoxy primer and then a coat of paint on them. Pick a colour that matches your carpet/side panels or something so it looks factory install.

Thanks Wayne. That sure explains it. Couldn't figure out the reason and was stumped on not wanting to go done the grounding issue. I did check everything on the weekend and main board and connections all look good and then I remembered hey the battery wasn't even connected over the winter. I know takes me a while but I usually get there.

The build up on the base was definitely heaviest around the screws. Any thoughts about where I might get the alodine in the city.

The only source I have for etch and alodine is Leavens Aviation on Derry Rd....2555 East....Just West of Airport Road on the North side. Stuff isn't real cheap though and you wouldn't need much at all and end up with a jug of each sitting around the house. I can check pricing, order it o my account and have it left for pick up and square up with you later........ Better yet, let me look tomorrow and see what I have left kicking around (I have both somewhere) and what I can pack it up into and I'll xpress post it to you.

Wow, all this discussion regarding the seat bases had me out ripping the tarp off my boat this afternoon to check mine. I've got a 1650 Sport Angler and sure enough, both of my bases have got the same symptoms, although I think the damage isn't as serious as the original poster. My Crestliner is only two years old, so I'm going after them for new bases. I don't care how moist my floor gets, those seat bases (especially aluminum) shouldn't be doing that after only two seasons of use. I appreciate the comments though on how the stainless screws can contribute to the corrosion problem. I left my batteries connected, but kept them topped up. Is that a no no? I keep my garage at 40 deg fahrenheit all winter so it stays relatively dry in the boat. Would appreciate any feedback on the battery issue or storage tips. We'll let you know how we make out with support at Crestliner. Cheers!