Finally got to fly fish

misfish

Well I finally got to do a little fly fishing today. :thumbsup_anim:

First thing I noticed, there was a dragon fly hatch. Big ones and little ones. Also large black wing bugs that looked like a dragon fly. Not sure if they were dragon flys or large nyphs (sp?) Also small black/yellow moths.

Found out real fast about knowing where the trees are behind you.LOL. For the most part,I thought my casting was pretty darn good.Worked on pinpoint casts.My biggest issue was I wasnt laying the line down smoothly. I found the main line and leader knot,would splash. Is this normal? Also my tippet was to short.5 ft.Should of been 8ft IMO. White main line has to go.It was good,as far as I was able to see a strike,but to bright IMO. I like the 8ft rod,but the reel IMO,is on the small side.So when I grab new line,I will be upgrading the reel.I,ll be buy a belt pouch,a vest is to bulky.

It was cool to see the strikes on the fly. I watched one or two small trout hit and miss. The chubb were more agresive. :lol:

I,ll be out again this weekend.

Thanks to all that helpped me get started.There,s a lot more to learn,and that,s what makes this sport so awesome. :good:

Edited by Misfish

Well I finally got to do a little fly fishing today. :thumbsup_anim:

First thing I noticed, there was a dragon fly hatch. Big ones and little ones. Also large black wing bugs that looked like a dragon fly. Not sure if they were dragon flys or large nyphs (sp?) Also small black/yellow moths.

Found out real fast about knowing your where the trees are behind you.LOL. For the most part,I thought my casting was pretty darn good.Worked on pinpoint casts.My biggest issue was I wasnt laying the line down smoothly. I found the main line and leader knot,would splash. Is this normal? Also my tippet was to short.5 ft.Should of been 8ft IMO. White main line has to go.It was good,as far as I was able to see a strike,but to bright IMO. I like the 8ft rod,but the reel IMO,is on the small side.So when I grab new line,I will be upgrading the reel.I,ll be buy a belt pouch,a vest is to bulky.

It was cool to see the strikes on the fly. I watched one or two small trout hit and miss. The chubb were more agresive. :lol:

I,ll be out again this weekend.

Thanks to all that helpped me get started.There,s a lot more to learn,and that,s what makes this sport so awesome. :good:

Glad you got out there and gave it a go :clapping:

If the reel holds your line OK, it's fine, that's pretty much all it's for til you get into fish that will take line from you like a steelhead.

White is fine for line colour, the fish won't see it, it's meant to be easily visible to you - I have luminous yellow lines and still catch plenty if fish with them.

Assuming you have a 9ft leader with 5ft of tippet, that's more than enough, especially with an 8ft rod. A longer tippet will give less control of the fly and more chance of slack in teh system so you won't feel hits as well.

Tell you what - if we can arrange a date, we'll go fly fishing somewhere and get you heading in the right direction - pm me if you're interested :good:

Edited by cuzza

Stay with the bright fly line. It doesn't spook the trout and not only does it help indicate strikes. But allows you to see were you should be mending to present a drag free drift quite possibly the most essential part of fly fishing presentation.

I use a bright green flyline as evidenced in this recent photo but have orange and yellow flylines as well

DSC01551.jpg

Glad you got out there and gave it a go :clapping:

If the reel holds your line OK, it's fine, that's pretty much all it's for til you get into fish that will take line from you like a steelhead.

White is fine for line colour, the fish won't see it, it's meant to be easily visible to you - I have luminous yellow lines and still catch plenty if fish with them.

Assuming you have a 9ft leader with 5ft of tippet, that's more than enough, especially with an 8ft rod. A longer tippet will give less control of the fly and more chance of slack in teh system so you won't feel hits as well.

Tell you what - if we can arrange a date, we'll go fly fishing somewhere and get you heading in the right direction - pm me if you're interested :good:

Stay with the bright fly line. It doesn't spook the trout and not only does it help indicate strikes. But allows you to see were you should be mending to present a drag free drift quite possibly the most essential part of fly fishing presentation.

I use a bright green flyline as evidenced in this recent photo but have orange and yellow flylines as well

Thanks guys.

You just saved me some cash. :whistling: I did not run a leader.Tied right to the main. :wallbash: So that splash from the knot is not an issue? I can see if I set up like mentioned,it shouldnt .The fly will be far enough away. I did try a dry and wet fly. I could see the difference.

Going to set up with a 6 ft leader and 5 ft tippet. Im still working on knots.LOL

What kind of knot is it?

You need to set it like this....

Fly line (white stuff) > Leader (thick end connected to fly line loop to loop) > tippet (2-3 ft of mono)

5ft tippet is still very long, when it gets short, you just chop it off at the knot and tie on another 2ft. Most leaders out of the packet are 9ft long and tapered their entire length, the taper helps evreyting land on the water properly so just use it as is with a short tippet.

That's great B. I used to fly fish in the rivers in the mountains just outside of Calgary when I lived there. Yup, you learn where the trees are behind you real fast :lol:

It is definately an artform but you get better as you go and it is very satisfying fishing to see them hit! :thumbsup_anim:

What kind of knot is it?

You need to set it like this....

Fly line (white stuff) > Leader (thick end connected to fly line loop to loop) > tippet (2-3 ft of mono)

5ft tippet is still very long, when it gets short, you just chop it off at the knot and tie on another 2ft. Most leaders out of the packet are 9ft long and tapered their entire length, the taper helps evreyting land on the water properly so just use it as is with a short tippet.

I just retied as you said. I,ll need to work on smaller loop to loop.LOL

Looks like I,ll get out Sunday. Lakers and whities just called.LOL

I used to fly fish in the rivers in the mountains

Girls don,t fly fish. :oops::w00t:

I just retied as you said. I,ll need to work on smaller loop to loop.LOL

Looks like I,ll get out Sunday. Lakers and whities just called.LOL

Girls don,t fly fish. :oops::w00t:

Cool - good luck!

I think the lovely April Vokey might have something to say about your last comment :D

fly%20gal%20with%20steelhead_thumb.jpg

Learn to roll cast whistling.gif

Thanks,looks easy enough. :whistling:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy23B_MYwsA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy23B_MYwsA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy23B_MYwsA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Good on you buddy for giving it a try. It is loads of fun. You asked about spelling - its NYMPH.

Yes, you definitely need a tapered leader and then maybe only 2 feet of tippet (in most cases). So true, it becomes 2nd nature to check behind you before you cast.... lol. And yes, do learn to Roll Cast, a MUST KNOW cast.

Generally, to avoid the splashing of your line after you have made the final cast, and before your line completely hits the water, slowly lower your rod, that usually helps reduce the splash.

I'll be hitting a river myself today with my fly rod.

Miro

Dave lets get out soon,cuz I,ll be leaving the warmer streams soon to try for bass. ;)

Thanks SC

Milo,it,s something I really never thought of doing,but since I don,t plan on being a boat owner anytime soon,I am looking at other fishing options to keep my interests peeked..

Thanks for the tip on the splash.

Edited by Misfish