A full house

spincast

Once I had answered the burning question from the other half "So, which day are you going fishing this weekend and which day are you doing the deck? …. Trifecta weekends sometimes mean multi tasking. Saturday G and I hit Jordan a little later in the morning and grabbed a couple quick fish – a small laker and a small rainbow. The dipseys, which I have only just started using teased me with 3 or 4 good knocks offs, but nothing else came aboard. We headed home with a bow for the smoker and good intentions. Arrived home to a blazing sun and temps too hot to work on the deck, brownie points earned by collecting sealer and required implements of completion from Home Depot on the way back from the lake. Sunday was a tryout at the bluffs on LPB; first trip to Erie for the season. Made the run out there to see about 10 – 15 boats. As I was setting up I watched a few more race towards the grounds. By the time we turned at the end of the first troll, it was a parking lot. We trolled back and pulled up – too busy and not so much as a sniff: came back home and got to work on the deck, even if it was hot. Brownie points safely cashed in, I called my bud Kev, who as a long haul trucker usually gets home Sunday mornings after I have left for the lake Timing worked and plans were made.. Our planned departure was 4:45. As usual for an early morning launch I was up an hour before hand, looking at the clock at 3:30. I tossed and turned and finally got up at 4, turned on the coffee, went outside and who should drive around the corner ½ hr early but Kev. Off to the gas station, fuel up, back to the house and rouse G man. On the road by 4:30 On the water by 5:45 to a big bright red fire ball cresting the horizon. It takes us about an hour for the first hit, and by the time the guest of honor gets to the rod (not on his game) the fish is gone. A few minutes later I grab the rod set her and hand it to Kev… a brick of a laker that stays down and needs to be muscled up. G is learning the net skills, and fudges this one at the boat. Kev tells me the score is now even for that pike he knocked off last summer. We head over to Port Dalhousie listening to the radio and it sounds like the bite is coming on. As we troll into the zone, a rigger bounces. Its my turn, but as we are running dispeys on 10 ft rods and that is too much for G I say G – FISH ON – you can have it. What follows was the most fun I have ever seen. This fish peeled line every 30 seconds for the first five minutes of the fight. G's just looking at the reel saying "It wont reel in?!". The fish crests the water a couple times before we see his true size. KING! A few of you may know this has been my holy grail for the last year. We have 5 lines out including a wire dipsey so we are keeping the fish behind us the whole way rather than trying to bring everything in as this guy goes all over the compass. After about 15 minutes G finally gets it along side and it dives under the wire and tries to wrap us up, I quickly grab the rod and pass it under the dipsey and hand it back to G. He finally brings it along side and I net the monster. As G th_100_1190.jpg

said, the thing weighed so much the pole on my net bent. A 39" beast on 30lb test. Not too shabby for a 9 year old! We set them up again and a few minutes later the wire dipsey SCREAMS and the rod bounces. A great 10 minute fight. Every time I gained 10 he took 15 feet back. You can hear the wire peeling off in the vid.[media]'>[/media] Sorry about the floor shots - had to keep him facing the right wayAfter turning cartwheels on the water we bring in all the lines to make sure they aren't tangled. As I set up the third, the second fires, and I bring in a small chinny. Once landed I turn around and discover in my hurry to cath rod #2 I hadn't locked the spool on line # 3 – 750 foot of line out!!!! I start feverishly bringing it in and at 450 feet I get a hit – Kev !! Fish on! And Kev brings in a nice little bow. We set them up again and a few minutes later the wire dipsey SCREAMS and the rod bounces. A great 10 minute fight. Every time I gained 10 he took 15 feet back. You can hear the wire peeling off in the vid.[media] Eventually out second king of the day, a solid 36 incher come a bourd for his passport photo. 100_1197.jpgSmiles all around. I was so pumped I forgot to pose with it.. We tolled home catching a few more. Final tally for the day – 2 kings, 2 chinnies, 1 cohoe 1 bow and a laker at the door. Several who tapped but didn't want to play. Please – more like that 100_1201.jpg not quite sure why that second vid wont show?

Edited by spincast

Your a good man Rick for passing the rod to your son worthy.gifclapping.gifthumbsup_anim.gif He sure got a good workout cool.gif

Again great job young man worthy.gifthumbsup_anim.gif

Thanks Jaques - kid's got serious horseshoes whenit comes to hooking the big one of the day.

it doesnt matter the age Rick....the smiles say you piloted the craft well!!!! i bet you were smiling while taking the picture too....Great job to ALL!

You know it Dave - everyone in the boat was ear to ear smile and high 5's all around

Great stuff Rick!!! Glad to see you hit some big Chinook finally!!!

Thanks Frank - hopefully we can get on some together soon

Great report Rick.I'm starting too get a bit of respect for those "not so" little trouty things rofl2.gif

Nice fish my friendgood.gif

Oh, sure, NOW you like them.......

Final tally for the day – 2 kings, 2 chinnies, 1 cohoe 1 bow and a laker at the door.

Okay... this may sound like a newbie question, but how do you differentiate between a "king" and a "chinnie?" I assume you're referring to chinooks in both cases... is it just a size thing?

Out West, folks call an immature king that returns early to spawn a "jack." Is this what you're talking about here?

Okay... this may sound like a newbie question, but how do you differentiate between a "king" and a "chinnie?" I assume you're referring to chinooks in both cases... is it just a size thing?

Out West, folks call an immature king that returns early to spawn a "jack." Is this what you're talking about here?

There is no difference. Think Rick just uses the term King for the larger specimens.

Chinooks are referred to as Kings, Springs, Tyees etc, out west.

There is no difference. Think Rick just uses the term King for the larger specimens.

On Vancouver Island (where I'm from), I've heard them called all of the above. Tyee is a name I've only ever heard up-island, everywhere else they're kings, springs, or just plain chinooks. In Alaska, I've only ever heard them called "kings."

Thanks for clearing that up. I suspected that it was just a question of size, but was wondering if maybe there was some special Great Lakes sub-species that I was unaware of... :-)

So - a pair of kings and a pair of jacks, then. Nice haul.

I think "Tyee" is reserved for a Chinook greater than 30lbs.

Edit: Chinook, not Salmon

Yup. There was (is??) a special Tyee club, that was reserved for anglers who caught a salmon over 30 lbs, out of a non-motor powered craft (canoe, row boat etc.)

Bang on Frank. seems around these parts the 3rd year chinnies are called Kings -the King of the Lake tourney for instance.

Thanks for all the comments guys -

Micheal - the hunt for a Tyee x2 is on now - I for me and one for G (and anyone else in the boat that day).

Juli - I gotta admit, I was watching the rod and praying that it was gonna be this fish in the boat, and not the rod in the lake more than once biggrin.gif .

Edited by spincast