Best Ever Kawarthas Opener

Dutch

Absolutely the best opener I've had in my 20+ years fishing the Kawarthas.

We launched out of Hiawatha on Rice Lake and were fishing by 6:00 a.m. First stop was the Otonabee, in the river, but near the mouth. One small walleye below the slot and a decent smallie and were were on our way out into the main lake, but still within proximity of the mouth of the river. No secret spot, we were right around the other 30+ boats that were out there.

Once we got into the lake, and the wind picked up a bit, the action heated up! We caught over 20 walleye in total. No monsters, but very clean healthy fish. Maybe 5 were below the slot, the rest comfortably in it. Nothing above the slot for us today, but that didn't matter with the numbers we were getting. The wind calmed down a bit and the fishing really died down. Most fish were caught before noon. The hot depth seemed to be anywhere between 7 and 10 feet, fish were hitting fairly aggressively. Most fish came bottom bouncing, some rip-jigging and a couple on cranks.

I was fishing with the President of our Bassmasters Club. We had a mini-tourney with 3 other boats. We claimed bragging rights this year, already looking towards next year.

walleye2.jpg

Was out same time and area, funny all the wife and i caught were the weeds lol...well a couple OSB 2sunfish and a perch. :blush:

nice to see so many boats and people out enjoying the lake, been rather lonely out there the last few months.

Congrats on the win! If you don't mind me asking, what size and colour were the bucktail and cranks you were using? :Gonefishing:

Bucktails were white/some other colour, cranks were perch-like.

WTG Darrin, thought it might be jammed up at the mouth yesterday. Been hearing PTBO Bassmaster are doing a tourney up my way this year?

Hey - long time Bill, hope everything is good on your end. Yeah, we are doing a twi-light on Belmont sometime this summer. Haven't fished the lake since we were up at your cottage, but you can bet I will be trying some top water around that bend near the river around the end of the night. Still the best top-water fishing I've ever had.

Good to see/hear! I'm heading up to rice for this long weekend and really don't know anything about the lake but would really love to get into at least a few walleyes for at least one meal.

Is there fish right in the Otanabee river there? Can I rent a boat somewhere around there? I think the place I'm staying is called Alpine..