My first open water report of the year (pics)

Hi all.

Having successfully caught perch on my first season ice fishing on Lake Simcoe it was time to head out for my first open water action of the year. I decided that I would try to catch a species of fish that I haven't caught before - not your world's greatest sport fish - but a fish all the same - the white sucker. Having seen all the posts about sucker fishing it seems that this is one of the few species that can be caught at this time of year and it is always fun catching something new. Also as some of you may have read from an earlier post I have set myself the target of catching as many of Ontario's fish species as possible this year. So this was a chance to get one off the list.

So last night I headed out to the Humber River in Toronto for a couple of hours fishing before sunset. It wasn't long before I found a likely spot. The deeper pools were stacked with fish but they weren't very obliging. After a few bites, lost fish and snagging the bottom a few times I was starting think I wouldn't succeed, but then this guy hit. Not the biggest sucker but it put up a scrap on light line. Mission accomplished! :thumbsup_anim:

med_gallery_354_52_197201.jpg

med_gallery_354_52_151043.jpg

I continued fishing in an attempt to try and catch a bigger one - but things went the other way - as I hooked into this little guy! I know its not one of the creek chub I could see in the shallows but can anyone tell me what it is? Is it some kind of shiner/minnow? :dunno:

med_gallery_354_52_8008.jpg

I continued fishing but got increasingly annoyed by other anglers wading through the pool I was fishing and casting their floats right where I was fishing. Some guys are so rude - one guy came and stood right next to me and almost took my eye out with a failed strike! :angry: Now I know what you guys feel like on trout opener. Time to call it a day.

It has been an enjoyable hour or so fishing and I had succeeded in catching a new species.

Hope to report again soon as the quest continues... :Gonefishing:

All the best

Edited by OO7

Well ch312, last year I managed to catch the following - northern pike, yellow perch, smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, rock bass, brook trout, brown bullhead, common carp, black crappie, pumpkinseedfish, and bluegill (11 species).

This year I plan to catch all of the above and more if possible. So far on three fishing trips I've managed Yellow Perch and the White Sucker (and the shiner :lol: )!

Based on the Ontario guide to Eating Sport Fish I would need to catch all of the following this year to achieve the goal.....

Walleye

Northern Pike

Sauger

Muskellunge

Yellow Perch

Smallmouth Bass

Largemouth Bass

Rock Bass

Chinook Salmon

Coho Salmon

Atlantic Salmon

Pink Salmon

Rainbow Trout/Steelhead

Lake Trout

Brown Trout

Brook Trout

Whitefish

Lake Herring

White Sucker

Redhorse Sucker

Channel Catfish

Brown Bullhead

Common Carp

White Bass

White Perch

Freshwater Drum

White Crappie

Black Crappie

Pumpkinseed

Bluegill

Goldeye

Mooneye

Burbot

Eel

Bowfin

Sturgeon

Smelt

Gar (not in the guide)

That makes 38 different species! Two down 36 to go!

I'll be proud if I can manage half that number bearing in mind I will probably fish mainly in Toronto and on a few camping trips to some Provincial Parks. The key ones I would like to catch are in bold (25), but i'll give them all a go.

Cheers

Edited by OO7

Great goal to set, good luck, lots of fish species in Ontario, I have caught many of them but usually by mistake fishing for something else! Targeting each one will be difficult but you look like you are ready for a challenge! Good Luck and Post all the reports!

Thanks for all the words of encouragement - its quite a tall order but i'll give it a go. I will keep posting the results with pics of course.

ccmtcanada - I wish I had thought of that one. My wife was with me, watching from the bank, she was furious for me and I think might have done worse to the guy if we had stayed around any longer! :devil::stretcher: