Boat Buying Rant

ah_long

God it's so hard to find a boat right now... either they are priced way too high or the condition of the boats are really bad...

boats that are reasonably priced in fair condition are sold within hours

I also got burnt the first time on Kijiji

Found a smokercraft in Hagersville, called the seller before I left, called him when I'm mid way.. by the time I pulled into his driveway, someone else is driving off his driveway with the boat... didn't even bother to call me.. drove 280km round trip for nothing, waste of gas and time. Such a scum.

should I give up hope and just wait until late summer/fall to look for a boat? it wasn't this bad when I did boat shopping last year!

any tips and pointers would be appreciated.

This is the worst time of year to try and purchase a boat or any other summer related toy. Prices are higher and competition for the good items is high.

A couple of years ago I purchased a used camper...................in February!!!

Saved about $2,500 buying it out of season and had no competition from other buyers when it was -30!!!! :lol:

Conversely if you're looking to buy a snowmobile or other winter toy now is the time to do it!!! ;)

Yeah, buying can be really frustrating, but when you find the "one" quite satisfying.

Just some general notes:

Don't be in a hurry, make sure you only buy what you want. Don't compromise just 'cause there's nothing else out there.

When you do find one you like - have cash in hand and be ready to buy or someone else will take it.

Spring is not a great time to buy - a lot of others are looking to buy and competition is high. Prices are higher as a result.

Always water test. Couple of guys I know bought with no test recently - they are paying for it now. Expect to pay for some minor repairs - budget for maybe $500. They are beyond that and then some.

Test ALL of the on-board systems from bow to stern. All lights, pumps, wiring etc. Everything. Again don't be in a hurry! Check it all out or you'll pay for it later (literally).

Selection in Ontario is anemic and people ask way too much. Only boat I would most likely buy is a new one in Ontario, unless I came across a killer deal (which is exceedingly rare).

It really is very easy to buy in the US, you should think about it.

I think your Lund is out of my range

I purchased my previous boat (Ranger R61) from the States and I agree there's a larger selection down there. I'm looking everywhere right now, but it seems that the selection is scarce down there compare to last fall.