gar

I'll add that shallow (1' to 5') flats are usually very good too, especially in the summer. The gar I get usually are cruising areas that are sandy with some rocks/boulders, although weed bottoms (those that have Chara sp. or Nitella sp.) will have gar as well. Gar like a presentation that floats or suspends, nothing that sinks though.

I've never really seen gar shallow until the May 24 weekend usually, and I am not quite sure of their whereabouts at this time of year. They could be in some large rivers that do have populations of them (i.e. the Grand, Ottawa, St.Lawrence), however I think finding some would be all based on luck. The gar should be starting to go shallow in about 5-7 weeks

I've never really seen gar shallow until the May 24 weekend usually, and I am not quite sure of their whereabouts at this time of year. They could be in some large rivers that do have populations of them (i.e. the Grand, Ottawa, St.Lawrence), however I think finding some would be all based on luck. The gar should be starting to go shallow in about 5-7 weeks

I haven't heard anything about Simcoe?,any chance there are any in there?.

As far as I know there are none in Simcoe, I think they do go inland along the Trent Severn, but I don't think they are that far up the Trent Severn from Georgian Bay.

For flies, people do use those rope flies, however the only thing I have against them is that if you break the fish off, it's as good as dead because the fish can't open its mouth. However, you can use a streamer such as a woolly bugger or other various minnow immitators, just add a stinger hook (treble) to it and you can usually improve your hook up ratios (at least that is what Nick Pujic does, he seems to have good success with it).

Edited by Garfisher

Thanks. Yeah, bunny strip leech pattern but not articulated. I find that they like black or white flies but they'll really hit anything if properly presented. They generally don't like to move so you need to get the fly running right past their head and they'll usually snap at it. When they take, you want to really lay the wood to them and keep constant pressure on them to ensure that they don't shake the fly/lure. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Another view of the same fish:

Gar.jpg

Edited by wallacio

I doubt you would get a gar to swallow anything but live bait whistling.gif. They usually smack at things with their "beaks", so rarely would they actually take a fly or lure and swallow it before they figure out it isn't food

I caught two last year on jerk baits, and thought it was more or less the norm. (I don't target them).

we hammered them on a very large sand flat, surrounded by rock ledges and weeds, last year when it was over 30 degrees and sweltering heat. we were throwing Zara Spooks and HulaPoppers for largemouth when we noticed little swirls in the distance. motored over with the electric and came upon the largest school of fish i've seen (aside from whities on Simcoe), feeding in packs on the surface. we threw our top waters at them and ended up boating 3 and losing / missing many more. as a suggestion, I wouldn't use a lure with multiple treble hooks. WAY too much of a pain to remove. also, good gloves, long nose hook removers, and a cradle instead of a net are highly recomended :) I learned all this the hard way :wallbash: good luck, don't forget pics

I used to catch them on th Thames River in London... never used a lure, but this technique worked...

-we used live minnows, the smaller the better.

-we used treble hooks and wrapped the whole minnow around the hooks... sometimes even using more than one minnow.

- we would suspend the treble/minnow below a bobber, with no more than a foot of line between the bait and float.

They will tow your float around... wait till yah can really feel them pull and lay the lumber on 'em!

I never caught any over three ft long, never saw any that big... but I can tell you that they are not a fish that likes to fight... once you get their snoot up and out of the water, you can motor boat them in....

Still a decent way to pass a hot summer day!

HH