Misconception

Twocoda

I have a few friends with American Bulldog Terriers and they are all great dogs. I think the biggest problem the breed has is that (at least where I'm from) it's the "breed of choice" for drug-dealer, biker-wannabe losers who think it makes them look cool and tough.

Edited by fishNwire

• 3 weeks later...

My buddy's parents have a pitbull nicest dog you would ever meet great with his kids never barks or growls shows teeth nothing.nicest pitbull i ever saw ,one day they got a cat everything seemed good the cat jumped on her/his parents bed and she ripped it to pieces .His dad was pretty shaken up by it just goes to show you never know.

Yea prey drive is high. My dog has put more than a few birds and squirils to rest. He flat out outruns them in a foot race.

Although cats he has no problem with cats. I don't own one but my parents do and he gets really upset when the don't want to play with him. Kids too he is so gentle. That being said I will never leave a child who dosent know how to command him unsupervised with him (I would be the same way with a shih tzu)

I totally missed this thread.

As previously mentioned, my gal and I are planning to get a dog, but cant agree on breed. She wants a golden retreiver I want an american bulldog. LOL I've wanted one since I was a kid (Homeward bound was my favourite movie).

Anyways, I've done a tonne of research, just wondering if any american bulldog owners could chime in with their experiences with the dogs ie. temperment, trainability, intelligence, etc.

My biggest problem is that she finds them to "look" a little intimidating

also, anyone know of a good reputable breeder in Ontario ?

I totally missed this thread.

As previously mentioned, my gal and I are planning to get a dog, but cant agree on breed. She wants a golden retreiver I want an american bulldog. LOL I've wanted one since I was a kid (Homeward bound was my favourite movie).

Anyways, I've done a tonne of research, just wondering if any american bulldog owners could chime in with their experiences with the dogs ie. temperment, trainability, intelligence, etc.

My biggest problem is that she finds them to "look" a little intimidating

also, anyone know of a good reputable breeder in Ontario ?

I posted a response to your questions in the other thread regarding the American Bulldogs ..Our dog came from Edmonton but i know of a reputable breeder in my town here ...but he didnt have any pure white dogs...(just a personal preference) but his dogs are absolutely bbeautiful...if you are going for an all white dog ...do your homework to avoid some genetic fflaws such as deafness and hips....PM me if you have any questions

98f128cb.jpg

5d3d8ec1.jpg

Here is a few shots of fossa. He is a 3 y.o. Rottie bulldog cross. Best dog ever.

Thanks Fresh Trax he is a good looking dog....is that an electric fence or a barker on his collar....mine never barks unless someone knocks on the door or its playtime...i was contemplating an electric fence but would like to know your thoughts on it if in fact it is whats on his collar...

I have a few friends with American Bulldog Terriers and they are all great dogs. I think the biggest problem the breed has is that (at least where I'm from) it's the "breed of choice" for drug-dealer, biker-wannabe losers who think it makes them look cool and tough.

and your friends say nothing but good things about you fishNwire...lol...just kidding around...i know what you mean though...BTW i just found my helmet and im going to jump on my grandaughters pink Big Wheel and im heading out the door for your place...the dog is going to pull me most of the way so that should knock at least day off my travel time...and oh....i got the stuff!!!! :jerry:

Thanks Fresh Trax he is a good looking dog....is that an electric fence or a barker on his collar....mine never barks unless someone knocks on the door or its playtime...i was contemplating an electric fence but would like to know your thoughts on it if in fact it is whats on his collar...

It's an electric fence. He is only on it at my parents farm. They are normally not as bulky as this one but he needed the "stubborn dog" collar. It beeps and vibrates before he gets zapped. He has only got zapped once with this collar it pretty much dropped him. Won't go near the horses, the road , or my moms vegetable garden anymore. With the smaller collar he kept just crossing the line. It lets him run on 5 acres with the oter dogs yet keeps him outa the manure pile, road, ect. Ect. He learned t in about a week.

I posted a response to your questions in the other thread regarding the American Bulldogs ..Our dog came from Edmonton but i know of a reputable breeder in my town here ...but he didnt have any pure white dogs...(just a personal preference) but his dogs are absolutely bbeautiful...if you are going for an all white dog ...do your homework to avoid some genetic fflaws such as deafness and hips....PM me if you have any questions

copied and pasted from the other post

addy79, on 23 April 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

very cool!

Is that an American Bulldog? Wifey and I are getting a dog in the near future and I'm pushing hard for an American Bulldog.

Is it your dog? Any tips/info you can share about them? to strengthen my "case"

She wants a Golder Retriever...

Thanks!

Yes he is an American Bulldog and yes he is mine...the best advice i can give you when it comes to owning one is.... be prepared to exercise the dog and socialize him right from the get go with everything and anything....you need to do your homework on educating yourself on the breed...in my opinion the Bully Breeds are the GREATEST dogs ever to suit me....your wife isnt wrong about wanting a Golden retriever either...we also have one in our house and she is awesome in a fluffy subdued kinda way ....They are both family members in our house and each one compliments each other very nicely...so we get the best of both worlds....if its water sports ...its the Golden that shines....if its speed and jumping and just plain awesomness of loyalty then the American Bulldog wins hands down...both breeds are incredibly smart and live to please their humans Both of our dogs are protective of each other and us but if push ever came to shove (not that it would) the American Bulldog is relentless when it comes to protection ( which brings up the NEED for command training)

One of the cons of owning a AM. Bulldog is there are alot of ignorant people that see the dog and instantly think its a pittbull and get goofy because of the Pittbull propaganda....Bull legislation IMO...

A con with both of our dogs is ...they take up too much room on our bed...i have never believed in crate training (personal preference) but if you were to crate train them ...Im sure that would solve the problem...

Here is a link to a bunch of pictures of our American Bulldog and links to educate yourself on the breed

http://www.facebook....ada?ref=tn_tnmn

I will NEVER go without an American Bulldog in my life...for the rest of my life...to sum it all up....AWESOME BREED!

Good Luck with your desision

ill add one more con to the equation for both breeds you have to have a huge couch if you want to nap on it

DSC_0505.jpg