carp fishing setup Suggestion!

googie

That is a terrific tutorial you made up for us Hammercarp!

And Goodluck to you Googie. That is as complicated as it gets, and it will defiantely get you into fish.

Now, if you end up reeeally getting into carping, you'll find no shortage of ways to spend your money on specialized gear, that essentially does the same as the stuff in Hammercarp's post! lol

I have never fished for carp either, however I've had lots of luck with Suckers... I was thinking of trying a slip weight, swivel, dough bait on a small tri-hook and lots of patience for some Carp this year. May I ask when a good time to start trying for carp is? I hear they may be spawning right now...

They are not spawning yet.

Spring is the best by far...after long winter they start eating when water heats up a little bit .

Chum the area that you want to fish with maize and any other seeds for better results

That is a terrific tutorial you made up for us Hammercarp!

And Goodluck to you Googie. That is as complicated as it gets, and it will defiantely get you into fish.

Now, if you end up reeeally getting into carping, you'll find no shortage of ways to spend your money on specialized gear, that essentially does the same as the stuff in Hammercarp's post! lol

good luck for fishing? Yes I need

I had no experience for carp fishing. Or channel catfish fishing. What kind of setup should I get?

Or I need 2 kind of setup? Suggestions! Please

Teaching my 5 year old to fish I've realized just how complicated I've made the sport.

As a young kid I fished with one rod. My tackle box was a cigar tin with a handful of hooks and some split shot. When I ran out of split shot I tied small rocks to my line.

That along with a pickle jar filled with worms we'd caught at night with a flashlight and we were set.

My friends and I travelled as far as our legs would take us on our bikes, and we caught fish. Lots of them.

The creeks where I grew up held trout and we knew every hole.

Some of the larger rivers had carp and bullhead in them, they were always the easiest to catch, and boy did we catch some big ones!

The ponds and sloughs had bass, some surprisingly large. I remember one time spending 15 minutes trying to catch a leopard frog. Finally did and when I impaled it on my hook and lobbed it under a big overhanging tree I caught the biggest bass of my life. Easily 6lb's. Still havn't topped it to this day.

When I look at the dozens of rods and reels I have today, the literal mountain of tackle in my basement, I can't help but think something's been lost in the translation.

Use whatever tackle you have, experiment and have fun. That's what it's all about.

This weekend I'm going to take my kid carp fishing to the river I fished as a kid.

We'll use a hook a split shot and a nice big fat worm. :)

This weekend I'm going to take my kid carp fishing to the river I fished as a kid.

We'll use a hook a split shot and a nice big fat worm. :)

I'm sure you'll nail 'em, Mike! The good ole hook and worm never fails!!

S.

Solopaddler

Take along a can of corn just in case. They're on sale at Food Basics this week for only 79 cents.

The technique I proposed does not get much simpler. A rod, a reel with line, a weight and a hook are all that is required equipment wise.

Edited by hammercarp

Teaching my 5 year old to fish I've realized just how complicated I've made the sport.

Me too.

Bell sinker, split shot, 6 inches of line, hook. Ziplock of corn in vanilla extract. Cast out, tighten up the line, squish a piece of bread on the line as a strike inticator and to give them a lil slack to suck it up with no resistance.

Wait.

My girls love carping.

Edited by Harrison

although it can be simple to catch carp... there are proper tools designed to do it better...

hooks made specifically for carp fishing...

long powerful rods to control huge strong fish...and cast over 100yds...

alarms for those of us that sometimes take an afternoon siesta...

i agree most people can go get a carp in the spring when there are loads around feasting on anything they can find... on very simple tackle as well...

but i do feel someone with the proper gear will enjoy the experience way more...(as long as they can afford the gear)and on average out produce the improperly equipped...im not suggesting that if you buy the right gear youll be able to pound carp.... what im saying is if you have the knowledge... and the tools... you have more options to overcome different conditions...

on saturday there were 3 of us fishing... and the only rod that got a bite all day was the one that was out 100 yards... i dunno about you guys... but no way can i cast 100 yards with an ugly stick and an ambasador...

might be different when your fishing of a cement wall in hamilton harbor and can give it a short toss off the wall... unlike most other shorelines...

i know my 12 foot rod got me out of a few pickles that a shorter rod wouldnt have...

luckily carp are incredibly tough fish and can handle long battles and improper handling techniques that occur with new fisherman...thats what makes em great fish...

im for sure not taking a shot at you Hammercarp... you technique has evolved for YOUR style of fishing in YOUR area.... and i think its a great set up... especially the paint roller...lol... but for those of us fishing harsh conditions like 5mph current... drop offs from 2FOW down to 60FOW and covered in rocks and zebra muscles...huge underwater stump fields... flooded rock fences...swims that require 100yd casts... REAL carp gear is an asset...i tried with other gear when i started...that resulted in lots of lost fish...break offs... and lots of money worth of tackle being lost....and very limited amount of spots i could fish...

kinda got off track here...

to the OP

try the simple methods suggested...with gear you might already have...

but know that there are way more tools and techniques out there...

so if you have fun and get hooked on carping... explore as many options as you can...this will help you become a better angler...

There are no waters like the St. Lawrence for carp any place in the world. That's is why Europeans come here to fish it. It is a world class fishery.

Some of the conditions you wrote about are simply handled by using heavy line. The Niagara river here is no slouch either when it comes to current and I have taken fish over 30 lbs on my Paylake outfit from it.

Mike. I own 12 ft specimen rods and the reels to go with them. They are purpose built and designed for distance fishing for carp . They are fantastic for that. But that is all they are really good for. Do you use yours for anything else? googie , the person that started this thread asked about channel cat and carp and if they could be fished with the same outfit. Can you fish channel cat, pike or musky with your 12 footers? They are great for distance, but almost all of the time you don't have to cast that far for carp. For someone starting out in carp fishing I think it is much better to go with a more versatile outfit. You get a better bang for your buck.

Also the specimen rods are not the only type of carp tackle out there. I think Mike that you would be shocked at the number of carp over 40 lbs that have been taken on a float set up here in Ontario.

Edited by hammercarp

to each his own, as usual! my rig is better than yours, no mine is lol - we all catch fish our own way...... no one way is better than another - and can one catch a few fish right at the shore or walls, yes - can you have the ability to produce fish at all times having the proper tools to do it....... no - ill take my 12 footers all day long - if I need a short cast, short cast it is....... if i need to pound a 4.5 ounce led to the horizon that I keep seeing fish rolling around ... I can do that as well. I would suggest the original poster dissregard the gear talk as its irrelevant at a start up phase........ but pay attention to the rigs and mechanics of what lorne has posted - the rig will put fish on the mat! The rest will come with trial and error and the progression of the individual taking on the sport.

Do you use yours for anything else?

no... i have rods specific for every style of fishing i do...

googie , the person that started this thread asked about channel cat and carp and if they could be fished with the same outfit.

he sure did... and if i was to try for big cats from shore id use my carp rod...

They are great for distance, but almost all of the time you don't have to cast that far for carp.

depending where you fish...i have spots that even with a 12 foot rod i have to change my lead to a distance lead or i cant hit my target...

Also the specimen rods are not the only type of carp tackle out there.

i never said they were the only type of carp tackle out there...

like i said... i wasnt bashing your set up... and i wasnt saying mine was best... i was just trying to let the OP know there are POSSIBLY better options then the outfit you suggested depending on what kind of waters he will be fishing.......your the only carp angler i know using the set up you suggested.... and i see hundreds of carp anglers a year here... but for your fishing its perfect and you like it...and thats cool...

sorry if i offended you...that wasnt my intention...

I don't think MM said anything to offended anyone. We all have our favorites, but for a starter, fishing many areas where distance casting is needed or dropping it 10yards from shore, I think the carp spinning setup will be much more effective. Paylake setup is all good and I have a setup I used twice mainly because of limited distance.

JMHO

BUT like what was said in the above post "to each his own".

MM hows the Larry fishing?