Locked boxes along the river bank ??

misfish

While walking the river the other day,we came accross some blue, 3ft tall,locked boxes close to the bank of the river.One however was not, and there was two cables in them. My question is,are these cables used for the water flow chart?

Are they about 6"x6" square and a few feet tall with a locked lid? If so, that's a ground water sampling hole used for environmental monitoring.

Yep ,that be them.Thanks

Is there some I can contact about the open box? Im sure their locked for a reason.

Edited by Misfish

Yep ,that be them.Thanks

Is there some I can contact about the open box? Im sure their locked for a reason.

Hard for me to guess whose they are. I don't know what river it was.

You might be able to guess based on your surroundings. Likely, the municipality monitors them, but it could be MOE or even a private company. Is there a landfill near there? Or anything else that could cause a spill or leech out to the natural environment. Think about what might be above there (uphill).

Sounds like groundwater monitoring wells. They could also be groudwater level monitors... but most likely wells/boreholes.

THey are locked so people don't damage or impair the well...or throw in old gas for spite haha. There's nothing like finding undesired chemicals in your water sample haha.

The well owner is either the property owner or the pollution generator (someone who caused a spill). You could contact the property owners and ask them why they are there.... If they don't know, they should, because there are Regulations for monitoring wells and need to be abandoned/installed by qualified personel.

My guess would be they are there because there is concern that groundwater contaminates could reach the river. Its also possible that they are there for long term monitoring so they have records of the groundwater quality over the years.

Rodcaster and Whiskey Wizard are correct...they are groundwater monitoring wells. I work for a laboratory that tests soil and water samples for environmental contaminants and my clients (environmental consultants) routinely install these wells to monitor/sample groundwater.