Lowrance HDS units & Aluminum hulls

Lunker777

Hey everyone

I want to pick up either a HDS 5 or 7 this year for my boat. Is it possible to run Structure scan with an aluminum hull boat ?

Are any of you doing this ??? Whats the power consumption of a HDS unit ???

Thanks in advance !!!

I run it with an aluminum hall

on the outside and sticking out from the transom...

you can't shoot through the hull

they sure like eating power

a hds 5 takes two 7amp batteries to run it on the ice for 8 hours you can double the time if you lower the back light to a minimum

which is hard to do in direct sunlight

I run it with an aluminum hall

on the outside and sticking out from the transom...

you can't shoot through the hull

they sure like eating power

a hds 5 takes two 7amp batteries to run it on the ice for 8 hours you can double the time if you lower the back light to a minimum

which is hard to do in direct sunlight

Yep I learned that this year. I could get 4-5 hours with my HDS5 on the ice. I ajusted the brightness lower but not as low as it would go as I couldn`t see the screen well.

If you want structure scan, go with the biggest screen you can afford. Also lss2 is coming out very soon. Supposed to be better

I saw a good discussion on the LSS2 here http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/412250-structurescan-hd-lss-2-first-impressions.html

Keep in mind the size of the LSS2 transducer (see pic in above link)...it sticks out at least 4 inches farther than the LSS1...motor would have to be trimmed up far to not get in the way. Good rebates on LSS1s and other Lowrance HDS products right now.

Jocelyn at Angling Outfitters up in Woodstock should be able to help you get setup

I run structure scan with HDS7 on my Sylvan. Transom mount transducer and yes they do draw a lot of power. (what Terry said).

Mine is connected to my auxilary battery which is connected to my kicker w/alternator. I would think twice about connecting it to your cranking battery??

Disclaimer- I am not electrically profficeint. If I've mentioned something wrong in the above statement, feel free to correct me.

don't quote me on this

I might be making the whole thing up or have the facts wrong

but I had heard maybe a year ago that Lowrance was in court about the design of the LSS1 and they had to change it to meet the patent rules...and nothing said that they were making it better just changing it....to keep humminbird happy

so the LSS1 may be better then the LSS2, except for the new longer transducer which is better so I hear