Idea for a great fishing TV show

Hi everyone. I was just reading some of the posts about fishing for species of fish that most people don't usually fish for - like suckers and was thinking what great variety of fish there is in Ontario waters and how most people focus on just a few species. Then it got me thinking...

When I was back in the UK there was a fishing show on TV about these two pro anglers who decided to try and catch a specimen fish (bigger than average) of every species in the UK but they only had a 1 month period in which to do it. They travelled all over the country fishing all the best waters in their pursuit of catching every species of fish. What's amazing is... they actually managed it. It was a great show as you learnt all the different techniques, learnt all about the different species, saw lots of different places around the country and saw them catch some pretty big fish too.

I think it would be a great show - one day fighting salmon in Lake O, next day heading up to Scugog for some monster Bass, next day trolling for record muskies in Georgian Bay, next day fishing for jumbo perch in Simcoe.... etc.... you get the picture. Plus throw in all the species people don't normally target like suckers, bowfin, drum, white bass, eels, gar, sturgeon etc. What a show!

Has this idea ever been done in Ontario?

Do you think it would be possible to catch above average size fish of all the main species in Ontario in a month? Is there a month when they are all open for fishing?

Do you think the TV fishermen like Dave Mercer, Aaron Shirley (sorry don't know all the guys names) etc are good enough to do it?

What about you OFNCers - have you ever tried to set yourself the target of catching all the species in the province (in a life time let alone a month)?

Since arriving in Canada :canadian: 2 years ago I have been trying to catch as many species as possible before I go back to the UK at the end of the year - I don't get to go fishing too often so am not doing too badly - have managed to catch the following so far...Largemouth, Smallmouth, Black Crappie, Bluegill, Pumpkinseedfish, Bullhead, Carp, Brook Trout, pike, perch and rock bass (WGSF) :thumbsup_anim: .

I aim to catch the following this year if I can - walleye, muskie, bowfin, drum, white bass, salmon, lake trout, brown trout, steelhead, white sucker and of course some bigger fish of the species I have already caught (I haven't caught too many specimen fish yet - 8lb carp largest fish to date :wallbash: ).

What do you all think about the idea for this show - would it be possible to catch so many 'large' fish of all the different species?

Anyone else with the same goal as me to try and catch all the species?

Tight lines and happy fishing this year :Gonefishing:

Edited by OO7

Well you would need a whack of cash to travel around but I'm sure it could be done, I would watch the show. When are you starting to tape ? with a little editing you can make :D 5 years into a month on video.

I think I've caught them all exept a Coho Salmon, White bass, sturgeon and maybe a couple more rare one's that I can't think of.

A lot of them were by accident fishing other species though.

I can see it now - The great Ontario Fish Hunt with Trapshooter and Bond..... James Bond! :lol:

I wish - can you imagine it being paid to travel around Ontario for a month doing what we all love - fish! We can all dream. Even if it wasn't me, I 'd love to see someone give it a go though!

Alternatively, how about a competition to see which OFNCer can do a post at the end of the year with (genuine) pictures of the highest number of different species that they have caught this year in Ontario?? B)

Sort of reminds me of the TV shows Matt Hayes and Mick Brown were in together.

That would be totally neat if someone actually could get all gamefish (and popular course fish) species within a month. I'm just trying to get my head around open seasons, prime seasons, travel costs, global warming trends and sheer luck. Doing it all within a year is still a very big challenge.

If anything, I'll put my bets on BBR to do it :worthy:

I've been thinking of doing that too, I got the idea forma british fishign show called the Great Rod Race (same show you saw i guess). Two fishermen travel accross Britain catching every species in 30 days, its a great show!

Visit the site

Edited by mepps

Gold stars to MJL and Mepps for having seen the show I watched - you're right it was Matt Hayes and Mick Brown in the Great Rod Race shown on a cable channel in the UK. :clapping:

How did you guys get to see it? Was it shown over here?

It was such a great series - when I get back to the UK I'm going to try and get it on DVD.

Let's see which OFNCer can get close to catching them all this year! :Gonefishing:

Gold stars to MJL and Mepps for having seen the show I watched - you're right it was Matt Hayes and Mick Brown in the Great Rod Race shown on a cable channel in the UK. :clapping:

How did you guys get to see it? Was it shown over here?

It was such a great series - when I get back to the UK I'm going to try and get it on DVD.

Let's see which OFNCer can get close to catching them all this year! :Gonefishing:

Not sure if you can get it on TV here - I only have basic cable anyway. A few of my English buddies sent over DVDrips in non-PAL format for me in exchange for DSN's hot spots on the islands and the locations of the nearest pubs and curry stands.

Hey Mepps - you really are a hardcore pikeman if you've got Mick Brown Pike DVDs :lol: - he seems such a great down to earth guy.

Maybe see you out at the islands again putting it into practice in May.

Anyone know how to catch a Longnose Gar? They are prevalant on the Ottawa River. You don't see that on fishing shows!

I don't know anyone who targets them, but I've caught two both on 1/4oz jig and minnow, but they hit it on the reel in because they are usually hovering at the surface from what I've seen.

I bet a small bass sized top water would work good.