smelt regs question

Rod Caster

thumbsup_anim.gif we'll be smelting soon!!

I just read the regs again and it says that fish sanctuaries cannot be fished for ANY type of fish at any time (some are year round, some are temporary sanctuaries). I mention this because there is a creek I know that often gets pressure from smelters even though it is a marked sanctuary year-round. The MNR could easily bust a lot of heads if they just sat there during the two-week smelt run...but they don't, I've never seen/heard of them busting anyone.

Now, I stay away from this creek because with my luck I'd be the first guy they decide to fine and they would be right to do so. I'm just looking for feedback on this.

Does anybody have similar experiences??

Also,

Is there a certain distance of a tributary that is considered part of "the lake"? Or, is the boundary right at the trib mouth? Unless otherwise written in the exemptions, would a tributary fall under the general Regs or would it assume the Regs associated with the lake in which it feeds, for a certain distance?

I hope I've explained this properly....

thumbsup_anim.gif we'll be smelting soon!!

I just read the regs again and it says that fish sanctuaries cannot be fished for ANY type of fish at any time (some are year round, some are temporary sanctuaries). I mention this because there is a creek I know that often gets pressure from smelters even though it is a marked sanctuary year-round. The MNR could easily bust a lot of heads if they just sat there during the two-week smelt run...but they don't, I've never seen/heard of them busting anyone.

Now, I stay away from this creek because with my luck I'd be the first guy they decide to fine and they would be right to do so. I'm just looking for feedback on this.

Does anybody have similar experiences??

Also,

Is there a certain distance of a tributary that is considered part of "the lake"? Or, is the boundary right at the trib mouth? Unless otherwise written in the exemptions, would a tributary fall under the general Regs or would it assume the Regs associated with the lake in which it feeds, for a certain distance?

I hope I've explained this properly....

In part two you have pretty much nailed it, some tribs have their boundary at the very edge of the lake into which they flow, others have a denoted marker, such as a railway bridge, an erected post with the info displayed etc.

The creek you're talking about is a sanctuary for atlantic salmon spawning exclusively as far as I know, so the CO's tend to be relaxed about smelters going there. It certainly gets a lot of smelt. whistling.gif

The Atlantics run in the fall...but people are dragging their nets right where the redds are. Considering they keep this lake closed for Lakers and Atlantics for 358 days a year to protect the Atlantics, you'd figure they put a little more effort into protecting the only river in which they spawn.

In part two you have pretty much nailed it, some tribs have their boundary at the very edge of the lake into which they flow, others have a denoted marker, such as a railway bridge, an erected post with the info displayed etc.

thanks, I assumed that was true because it's not otherwise stated in the regs.

On the Athabasca river you can't fish within 50feet (meters?) of a trib mouth even though the Athabasca is open year-round. That alone kind of confused me because I used to live near it.

Edited by Rod Caster

Furthermore, found this, so it's pretty much black & white "No fishing of any kind is permitted in a fish sanctuary." Also check the non angling methods of catching smelt on page 11 and the open dates per FMZ.

That's what I had read too. It seems there is a double standard or blind eye on this creek.

The Atlantics run in the fall...but people are dragging their nets right where the redds are. Considering they keep this lake closed for Lakers and Atlantics for 358 days a year to protect the Atlantics, you'd figure they put a little more effort into protecting the only river in which they spawn.

I do agree, but they are no redds in the lower stretch where the smelt fishing is taking place...at least not in the deep, slow pools where the netting takes place.

I do agree, but they are no redds in the lower stretch where the smelt fishing is taking place...at least not in the deep, slow pools where the netting takes place.

Redds have been documented less than 200M from the smelting area... that report was over 10 years ago, since then, I'm sure there are some spawning areas in the smelting zone. It's only 1-3 feet deep in most of that zone with a lot of gravel. Wouldn't the siltation and netting also affect the smolts? I bet a few guys have caught what they thought were speckled trout smolts.

By the way, I contact the MNR last year just to get clarification and they said "you can't smelt there".

For the last few years local COs have been laying charges on the south side of HWY 17 between Sturgeon and North Bay ... ie: McInnis Cr, Mosquito Cr, Laronde Cr and the Little Sturgeon River .... North side of 17 so 80' away you're legal... Their fines were ' fishing in a sanctuary' and possession of OOS fish.... I know a guy who was on his 2nd offense and got dinged for 850$

Randy

Good to know. I'll look at the regs again today... Does it say 80 feet from hwy 17 right in the regs?

So they fine you with OOS fish if you catch it in a sanctuary? Double trouble! The MNR could clean up at the one I'm talking about... Its no secret either.

Thx Randy.