On the RUN!

Paulus

Well, it's that time of year again :).

Visited one of the local dams this week and got a treat.

Hundreds of 'bows were making their way up river to their spawning grounds.

Even though this happens every year, I never get tired of watching it! :clapping:

IMG_0943b.jpg

IMG_0947b.jpg

IMG_0940b.jpg

A DSLR is a great tool for taking pics like these, because you can crop so much out and still not lose any quality!

p.-

I'm looking for a good quality camera. What is a DSLR? Please explain some of the features. I'm technically challenged when it comes to cameras. Thanx for your help.

To be honest a DSLR isn't for you, these are semi-pro level cameras (Depending on how much you want to spend) I'd get a great Point and Shoot with a long optical zoom, turn it on, shoot away, super simple and great pics to boot.

I'm looking for a good quality camera. What is a DSLR? Please explain some of the features. I'm technically challenged when it comes to cameras. Thanx for your help.

Don't listen to Bill - he means well, but if you give yourself time to learn about these things, his honest concern for saving you money will take a back seat ;).

DSLR stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex. They tend to have a larger sensor (for image capture) and better (removable and interchangeable) lenses than typical "point and shoot" cameras. If you see a camera that's big and looks heavy, it's probably a DSLR. DSLR also stands for "expensive." Mine is a Canon T2i and there is very little chance I take those pics with a regular camera, just because the DSLR allows you to capture the picture when the fish is still mid-air - and because the lens is better than in a typical point and shoot, I don't need to zoom a lot. I can just crop my pictures & get exactly what I want.

Try it with a regular point & shoot camera, as Bill suggests: you'll get a nice shot of running water, and that's about it - unless you sit there and shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot - indiscriminately, until you fill up your memory card :blink:

You know what I did to educate myself? I just went to youtube & entered "DSLR tutorial." You won't believe the number of useful links that come up :)

If I'm not using the DSLR, I use my old (now decrepit) Minolta Z1. You basically can't crop with this camera, but you can certainly take nice pictures, such as the following:

PICT0546.jpg

PICT0520b-1.jpg

PICT0492.jpg

PICT0528.jpg

and my personal favourite

PICT0044bc.jpg

PM me if you need more :)

p.-

Edited by Paulus

Paulus

You can get decent shots with a point and shoot.

You can even get the jumping troot pictures if you set your camera on burst mode.

DSLR's are very good picture taking machines however and if with practice you can ake spectacular photos. I have been meaning to get one as I used to shoot some awesome pics with my old SLR film camera.

P&S cameras have come a long way Paulus. If you think that a $300.00 p&s can't get results as good, or even better than the shots that you posted, think again. DSLR's are great in low light situations when high ISO is needed, but a decent p&s can take exceptional shots with good light. Thats the difference between a $2000.00 camera with a $3000.00 lens attached, and a $300.00 p&s.

P&S cameras have come a long way Paulus. If you think that a $300.00 p&s can't get results as good, or even better than the shots that you posted, think again. DSLR's are great in low light situations when high ISO is needed, but a decent p&s can take exceptional shots with good light. Thats the difference between a $2000.00 camera with a $3000.00 lens attached, and a $300.00 p&s.

No argument here. As you can see in the pics above, the last four or five shots are from an old point & shoot camera - and I mean old, circa 2002, 3.2 megapixels. Like you said, P&S cameras have come a long, long way, but even the old ones can deliver beautiful photography!

What a DSLR allows you to do, beyond a regular point and shoot, is have absolute control over pretty much everything - focal length, ISO, shutter speed, etc... And the CCD is bigger, and therefore a lot more sensitive (in general). Not that you don't get similar control with P&S cams, but the range of control is not as wide. (Although I think that the Canon S3 now comes with the same CCD as a DSLR... but it's over 450$)

Mine didn't cost 2000.00 by the way; they've come way down in price over the years. $550+tx brand new and with the stock lens (18 to 55mm). To me, with twins who are now 6 and too many fuzzy pictures to count, the extra $250 was a no brainer - not to mention the fact that (yea though thou shalt not take it fishing :huh: ) when I do get to take nature pics, they now turn out better than ever for me. :clapping: