float fishing with bait-caster

tonka-toy

A friend went out to BC last fall and told me the most popular set-up he saw was a 10 1/2 -11 foot rod with a small bait-caster.Does anyone have any experience useing this type of set-up on smaller warer situations?I often use a bit heavier combo for chuckin spoons and bottom fishing but wonder if with the right gear could you have agood all rounder.

I'll disagree with Dave on this one. I believe he likely was correct back when baitcasters were inferior.

These days I see tons of guys using baitcasters for floatfishing on the river and they seem to be holding their own quite handily. Most guys will still use 12-13' blanks but have them custom tied with a spiral twist to the guides.

The most popular albeit expensive reel for this purpose seems to be the Calcutta TE's. Super smooth and light and you can cast light rigs with them a mile.

I'll disagree with Dave on this one. I believe he likely was correct back when baitcasters were inferior.

These days I see tons of guys using baitcasters for floatfishing on the river and they seem to be holding their own quite handily. Most guys will still use 12-13' blanks but have them custom tied with a spiral twist to the guides.

The most popular albeit expensive reel for this purpose seems to be the Calcutta TE's. Super smooth and light and you can cast light rigs with them a mile.

That's my problem!!!!

I don't own a bait caster newer than the mid 80's!!!!! :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Still don't think they would work worth beans on slower froggy water though.

Maybe the Credit, Ganny etc but can't see it on the lower Willy or Bowmanville S bends. ;)

Edited by DRIFTER_016

I have one that would fit the bill Dave. I can deliver,if you will pay air charges?Me and the reel.Return trip is up to me. :lol::w00t:

Right!!!

Stuff yourself into a cardboard box with one of these Shimano CTE-401's and drop yourself off at the post office and I'll pay for the postage as long as it's not more than a hundred bucks. ;)

Until I sold my custom rod last fall. This was the way I float fished since 90. The secret with the old baitcaster was to rip out the anti backlash magnets and remove the spool tension spring. But with the newer reels thats not needed as the spool move very freely. No reel advantage in the actual execution of a drift but I feel there was a advantage in fighting the fish. I used a 10lb XT mainline and was able to whip most steel like a rented mule. As far as frogwater my first choice for fishing was always the lower Notty and while there is some current it very low gradient and I never really had any problems achieving a drift.

Not a good pick but here my old kit

float-1.jpg

Still don't think they would work worth beans on slower froggy water though.

Maybe the Credit, Ganny etc but can't see it on the lower Willy or Bowmanville S bends. ;)

ha! Can't fish anything else but a 28" ice rod in those spots now anyways.

My bro and I use baitcasters on the Ganny and some parts of Duffins. I prefer a spin or pin tho.

Until I sold my custom rod last fall. This was the way I float fished since 90. The secret with the old baitcaster was to rip out the anti backlash magnets and remove the spool tension spring. But with the newer reels thats not needed as the spool move very freely. No reel advantage in the actual execution of a drift but I feel there was a advantage in fighting the fish. I used a 10lb XT mainline and was able to whip most steel like a rented mule. As far as frogwater my first choice for fishing was always the lower Notty and while there is some current it very low gradient and I never really had any problems achieving a drift.

Not a good pick but here my old kit

Nice,it works for you!

float-1.jpg