Obligatory early Spring Chrome

Paulus

Just a quick hello, as I haven't been on very often recently. Because of a thing called

To hell with work!

:blink::asshat::wallbash:

Anyway, I finally managed to snare a little bit of time off from everything and went looking for some steelhead. The first few hours were that typical blend of hope, dashed by monotony, invigorated momentarily by some sign of fish (either one surfacing or that one guy catching yet another), then dashed again by more monotony. Finally, I changed things up and after lunch was glad to find a spot that I could have all to myself. Within a few drifts, I knew I was going to have a good afternoon - in fact, it was stellar!

It was a great day altogether as, even though I had to leave early (around 2:45pm), the reason was so that I could watch (and assistant coach) one of my 6 year olds play goalie in his minor tyke playoffs. He's pretty good at it and makes his pappy proud! :clapping:

Just a couple of pics from yesterday's glories:

IMG_6666.jpg

IMG_6675bc.jpg

IMG_6680.jpg

And the piece de resistance... A nice big hen, swimming free!

IMG_6685b.jpg

Thanks for reading :)

p.-

Edited by Paulus

Nice fish buddy.

I rarely fish out that way, but I'm looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Is a rape whistle on your wading jacket standard issue for fishing out there now?

:rofl2:

lol! that belongs to a guy I met out there - he's from Quebec & had heard rumors, and usually fishes Shwacreek at least once when he comes down, so... better safe than sorry! Still, that little bit of chrome he caught was worth a pic or two.

hopefully my family climate holds steady, bud. If so, we'll definitely be sharing some river together for a few hours anyway :)

p.-

About a year or so ago, My bro-in-law moved into the Ports of Newcastle subdivision (east of Wilmot Creek)

He took a walk down by the creek yesterday and couldn't believe his eyes...people, shoulder to shoulder from the RR tracks down to the lake. The part he found amusing was how everybody in unison would lift their line out of the water then cast upstream and start a new drift...could have put it to music he sez...LOL

About a year or so ago, My bro-in-law moved into the Ports of Newcastle subdivision (east of Wilmot Creek)

He took a walk down by the creek yesterday and couldn't believe his eyes...people, shoulder to shoulder from the RR tracks down to the lake. The part he found amusing was how everybody in unison would lift their line out of the water then cast upstream and start a new drift...could have put it to music he sez...LOL

There's always lots of that kind of chacha, fox-trot, chromer-waltz going on in those parts, especially on warm sunny weekends at this time of year... :whistling:

p.-

Nice fishes budday. Good to run into you the other day. Those chaps you were guiding looked very happy!!

cheers

HD

No man! Although they're nice guys, I was solo. I met one of them last fall on another trib - basically introduced myself because I could hear him speaking our dialect - and he and his buddy happened to be in "my" spot this past Friday. They very cordially invited me to share the drift, though I did so most ineffectually.

When I changed up, I went without them and - as luck would have it - this time I had it all to myself. Only me, and scores of hungry chromers.

God's repayment for all the crap he's been putting me through lately :)

p.-

Sweet pieces of steel :thumbsup_anim:

Were these pics taken with the old Minolta? A few days ago I re-stumbled upon your blog and saw the post about having to take the camera apart. I can definitely relate...Last fall I had to take apart 1 lens that went for a swim in 1 G-bay trib known for mud :(. The pics in this thread are great!

Sweet pieces of steel :thumbsup_anim:

Were these pics taken with the old Minolta? A few days ago I re-stumbled upon your blog and saw the post about having to take the camera apart. I can definitely relate...Last fall I had to take apart 1 lens that went for a swim in 1 G-bay trib known for mud :(. The pics in this thread are great!

Thanks for asking :).

Actually, no. Those were taken with a Canon SX120. It's been a good camera, and takes really sharp pictures; but it struggles with light intensity, I find. When the sun is high, I find that it takes excellent pictures; but if light is in any way ambiguous, you almost need to have an engineering degree to get them to come out ok.

These (from fish I caught this morning, and under unusual lighting conditions) were taken with the Minolta. It doesn't have quite the sharpness, but man does it get the lighting right. If you can find a used one kicking around on Kijiji, I suggest giving it a go; after all it was a 500$+ camera in its day.

PICT0528.jpg

PICT0550.jpg

(note this that this one is a drop back..... :(... already here!)

PICT0553.jpg

This one really illustrates my point. The sun was quite bright at this point & shining almost directly from the belly of the fish - and yet the colors are intact. Look at the tail! It's really clear and in very good detail.

PICT0533.jpg

THIS picture, on the other hand, was taken yesterday with a Canon T2i... which I might add is not sanctioned to participate in any fishing excursions. Apparently my marital associate feels that my penchant for dunking cameras should not be extended to any brand new DSLR's... in fact, a totally understandable position in view of the circumstances. Still, if we take a walk as a family to check out the local dam... that's not really taking it fishing, is it? :whistling:

I didn't have an ultra zoom on this. 18.1 megapixels means you can crop to heart's content!

IMG_0943b.jpg

p.-

Edited by Paulus