Perch / crappie rod suggestion

scugpg

Hi all I'm looking for a decent perch jigging rod (usually use a pickeral rig) that will also work well with slip bobbering crappie this year. I've used a 6'6 ML rod in the past but I'm thinking of something shorter and lighter action might be more suitable.

What do you guys use or suggest?

Thanks! :Gonefishing:

I like a longer rod for pannies. I use a 7ft ultralight clarus. Works awesome, and its a little easier casting floats with the extra length. I find with crappies, you gotta cast as far as you can a lot of the time, so the length helps with the long casts too.

S.

I like a longer rod for pannies. I use a 7ft ultralight clarus. Works awesome, and its a little easier casting floats with the extra length. I find with crappies, you gotta cast as far as you can a lot of the time, so the length helps with the long casts too.

S.

x2 I'll be going with a 7' in L or UL for a Crappie rod for the spring. Nice to hear what I was thinking to get.

I really like longer rods for fishing perch and panfish....but I fish with floats all the time. I also find a little heavier rod is a better choice if you are casting floats. Also if your rod is longer but real light...you may have some trouble with control when lifting a big slab out of the water...which is another reason for a little heavier rod. None of the rods I use are under 9 ft.

I have a 6'-6" LIGHT rod I like to use for crappies but I do agree, a 7' would even be better....

Crappie fishing is usually done in the spring when the winds can be stiff at times....as Sinker has mentioned a long rod is better for casting light, sometimes very light jigs and a foam bobber....but that longer rod also helps to take up that slack laying on the water the wind has caused to set the hook....but then a light action rod will keep that hook set in the mouth of old paper mouth without tearing it out...all important at the end of a hard day on the water with Mr Calico...

I have this rod from Cabela's and it works out great...GS662 but if you want the same rod in 7' get this model as it's the same but longer...GS702...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Rods/Spinning-Rods%7C/pc/104793480/c/104764680/sc/104836680/Cabelas-Fish-Eagle174-II-Spinning-Rods-150-08/738725.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-fishing-rods-spinning-rods%2F_%2FN-1102841%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104836680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%25253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104764680&WTz_l=SBC%253BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104764680%3Bcat104836680

Now for perch fishing I go a completely different root....but I'm fishing Lake Erie Perch straight down in mostly deep water....for these perch I have a custom Fenwick I made many years ago....it's a soft ultra light glass rod that is only 5' long and can detect the extra weight of a Lake Erie Perch just holding onto my bait. I credit this rod for MANY limit catches while others around me have difficulties detecting the "bite".

Favourite all-round crappie and small trout rod is an Okuma SST UL 6'6" spinning rod, around 50 bucks, perfect with a 1000 size reel and 4lb line. They make a 7' as well, and I bet it's great, but I haven't handled it.

Great rod for the price in my opinion.