sucker run?

Victor

it's mid april and we're finally getting some nicer temps this coming weekend (i hope that the weatherman isn't lying) ... has the sucker started running yet? i'm sure there's the odd one in the tribs but are they in thick yet? ...

i'm probably heading out this weekend and i might take a friend who's relatively new to fishing... so it would be a good idea to avoid the steelhead crowd but i don't know where i can go ... one of the creeks/streams that go into Simcoe?

Thanks guys and girls.

I know that suckers can be very thick in some areas and a real pain in the butt! But please? may I suggest not to throw these fish along the banks of the rivers and streams. Either you throw them back or take them home and use them as cut bait for catfish, pike and even trolling for monster salmon in Lake Ontario! Don't throw them away because they begin to rot and smell. It makes us look like we don't care about the way we keep our banks clean. Lets be good fisherman!

Hi Urban!

This is my first post on OFC and you happen to be showing a fish that I would like to know more about and of course go fish for.

While I wait for the bass season to arrive, I would like to fish for these "suckers" as they are called.

This fish looks very similar to a fish I used to catch in England called a barbel. Those fish were caught on worms, or cheese and luncheon meat cut into half inch cubes.

If you would not mind sharing some locations, I would like to get out there and try to catch a few!

Many thanks

Charlie B)

thanks for all the replies!

i'm still new to steelheading and it's been a while since i've caught a fish lol... i'll settle with anything that bites and puts up a fight :D it should be fun with light gear

wolfville: come'on, i'm sure you have started fishing before i was born lol

urbanangler: yup crappies are defintely on my list, but i'll wait till the opener ... how come you took off the 1990? i noticed it a while back..just never pointed it out :D

Remeber fishing for suckers last year around this time and they should be in with all this warm weather coming up at Holland River. I fished using a worm and sinker and they are fun on light gear. Give it a try if you want I can PM you the exact location and how to get there it is right near newmarket. Good Luck, here is a pic from last year and I caught about 15-20 of them and some of them were pretty big and on light line they fight great. Last year I started steelheading so that is what I focus on this time of year or until pike and then bass open. But nothing wrong with going for a CONFIDENCE BOOSTER after I getting skunked on the tribs lol

Sucker2.jpg

Thank you Brian!

I will probably go there this weekend for a look around!

Minnow!

Thanks for the rigging info. It is similar to the one I used in the UK so it's easy for me to duplicate.

Obviously I am a bass nut, but I am also a Steelhead "virgin", so I would really like the chance to fish for those "puppies", close to home here in Oakville. If you fish locally and want someone to shoot the breeze with, I would welcome the opportunity. I have European tackle with 10,11,13,16 and 18 foot rods which I think will do the job. I also fly fish (used to teach it) if needs be.

Tight Lines!

Charlie B)

Edited by The Bass Doctor

Hey bass Doc,

I'm at work and should probably be, well, working haha Yeah I went to school in London, ON and used to catch them by the dozen in the thames. We used a lighter setup, with a slip sinker/swivel down to a worm harness, or just a plain old hook tipped with a big juicy earth worm! I caught the ones in the pictures while steelheading, but if I had the right setup I'd have landed a TON of those suckers. When the water clears up you can actually see them.

The steelheaders seem to fish early moning and fizzle away in the afternoon and into the night, so I might hit the credit @ night and go for those suckers next week. I'd be glad to have a fishing partner. Let me know when you're free and I'll take you down to the spot. It's near Erindale Park.

Cheers,

UF

Although alot of people consider suckers to be a "garbage" fish, fishing for them can be quite fun, on a fly rod.

Similar to sight fishing for bonefish, suckers are very skittish, but will put up a decent fight.

How many times have you been out steelheading, when you thought you had a good bow on, only to find a

sucker at the end of your line (no pun intended)?

Hi UF!

Thank you for the barbel picture. It's been a few years since I saw one, let alone caught one!

I knew they were related to the carp because of the "barbel’s" that hang from under their mouths, but I find it VERY interesting that a fish the size of the sucker would be related to the minnow family.

Do you have a link that I can read up on these fish as I really would like to fish for them, the way I fished in England, with a keep-net (fish to be released afterwards), a 16' plus rod, 4lb test and a drum reel. (very civilized, LOL!!)

Thanks again, you all seem like solid folk on here, which is refreshing from others sites where the contributors tend to become as closed mouthed as a bass during a cold front!!! :stretcher:

Charlie B)

Edited by The Bass Doctor

Hey Bass Doc!

I was sure they were in the minnow family but I may have been mistaken. I think there's a "sucker" family of fishes by themselves...

Check out this link: it's a really good fish info resourse....They're great sportfish in my opinion - my PB is a 24 inch redhorse caught in the thames in London, ON.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/

A quick google search should provide some good info on them as well!

Cheers,

UF