MNR and LOMU

chessy

Today the mnr and lomu announced it will not collect data from the fish-ladder in port hope this year. After over 30 years of collecting data and using the Ganaraska river as a base for all other rivers in ontario, they said they may do it every other year, which concerns me as it will take a additional 6 months after data is collected making it a total over 2.5 years min to detect a problem with the rainbow runs. they basically told us they had other priorities, as the river had been stable in the last 10 years, but all it takes is one thing to effect the runs . i talked to a person after the meeting and they said it was a RISK FACTOR assessment, basically the lined up all there budget needs and what ever one had the less risk not necessary any risk just the least chance of something happening. this is no way to run a wildlife management like the rainbow runs of ontario

sorry but its a good decision.

Assessment doesnt need to be done on a yearly basis to determine fish population status, in particular where there is a counter to assess fish movement. There is enough background data and certainly enough habitat and juvinile recruitment work done by the local conservation authority to see if there is a problem quickly enough

Personally the LOMU and the MNR have got lake Ontario dialed in pretty darn good to such a degree that other jurisdictions could take a page from them.

There are lots of other things the lake needs beyond this,and im hoping the funds get diverted there, in fact Im sure they will once budgets are approved

I understand there was a huge volenteer componant here, Im sure that other watersheds like coburg could use the help lifting fish there.

Edited by aniceguy

It's been a proven point that the more money governments have the more they waste....you actually get a better bang for you buck when they have less to waste.

Sadly the environmental programs at all levels have had funding cut drasticaly in the past few years. With the push on to trim the budgets and cut the defecits at all levels the first thing to go is often environmental funding (as they figure most people won't notice). Less jobs and less contracts means things like this happen due to the lack of man-power.

with port hope starting which is the largest waste clean up in canadain history and they are going to be building coffer dam and sucking 18 to 20 feet from the habour and digging up dirt all over port hope in my oppinion now is the time to keep even a closer eye on the ganny fish run