which baitcasting reel?

rmarentette

I'm buying a new bait casting reel and have whittled it down to three choices. The Abu Garcia Revo SX, Shimano Curado or the Quantum Energy PT. I'm also looking for a 6'6'' medium heavy rod with fast action. Some of the rods I'm considering is the Abu Garcia Veritas, Shimano Compre or the St, Croix Mojo . What do you suggest? I should add that I haven't used a bait caster for many years, but I've got the itch to give it a try. Thanks for your help!

Im breaking the trend here but go to a store and pick up a revo and a curado, give them the once over and I think you might like the black one better. The both have fast spools but you will notice much more play in the curado gearing were as the revo is tight.Ive worn the chrome plating off the

thumb bar and it still fishes like day 1.

Im breaking the trend here but go to a store and pick up a revo and a curado, give them the once over and I think you might like the black one better. The both have fast spools but you will notice much more play in the curado gearing were as the revo is tight.Ive worn the chrome plating off the

thumb bar and it still fishes like day 1.

Your using these reels for what type of fishing?

i have all those reels and they all have there own strengths, curado is the most forgiving for backlashes quantum and abu have faster spools and stronger (and heavier) frames as for the rod compre and mojo are both decent mid level rods no opinion on abu rod

i have all those reels and they all have there own strengths, curado is the most forgiving for backlashes quantum and abu have faster spools and stronger (and heavier) frames as for the rod compre and mojo are both decent mid level rods no opinion on abu rod

The Veritas white rods by Abu should be look at now that I think about it. One of the best selling rods last season and for 90 bucks cant go wrong.

Another option

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_Veritas_Casting_Rods/descpage-AGVRC.html

The Veritas white rods by Abu should be look at now that I think about it. One of the best selling rods last season and for 90 bucks cant go wrong.

Another option

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garcia_Veritas_Casting_Rods/descpage-AGVRC.html

I found the abu rods to be very stiff. A friend of mine wanted a medium spinning rod, he looked at the veritas, line rating of 6-12, thing was stiffer than most of my mh baitcasters :dunno:

Edited by danbob

I found the abu rods to be very stiff. A friend of mine wanted a medium spinning rod, he looked at the veritas, line rating of 6-12, thing was stiffer than most of my mh baitcasters :dunno:

That's not a problem. Give it 2 weeks and I'll have all the models on the floor at Gagnons. Check them all out, there is no better rods for the money. Feel M's feel MH's. I was playin around with a 6'9 and 7' MH's today and thought they were great rods. Bought my Dad one.

Don't look past the cheaper rods and specifically Abu Garcia. For some reason with them and Rapala they make great rods at a cheaper than average price.

Let us know what you decide on!!

I personally think the St. Croix is the best bet. As said the Abu Garcia are really stiff, I don't mind the Compre but a bit to flimsy and St. Croix Mojo perfect. Depending on what you are using it for tho I seen some wicked deals in the classifieds an they were Crucials for like 110 to 120 or something. Awesom deal and better then anything you mentioned for ten bucks more then the other rods give or take a bit.

If you can pick up the previous interation of the curado IMO that would be your best bet. The 200e7 is a great all around reel.

I like st. Croix rods but personally feel the mojo series are overly tip heavy. I have mine on last year's shimano crucial with a cork split grip and really like the setup.

I have 2 revo sx's and everyone was raging about the 200e the past couple years so i bought one too. i really prefer the sx as mentioned previously its tight and smooth, both drag and retrieve with zero play. I have also worn the thumb bar paint off from using the sx's so much and its handled some big muskies while bass fishing with ease. Id get a st croix premier as well if you can, but I like cork.

I don't have a Revo but I do have Curados and Quantum and frankly I don't see much difference. I'd go to a tackle shop, mount the reels on rods I'm thinking about and make the decision based on hown they feel in my hand.