ATVS -traditional or side by side?

captpierre

The 2-up machine law isn't really enforced.. As long as there is no one on the back while travelling on a road! Most cops will look the other way since alot of them have the same machines.

On the can-am models the rear seat can be removed.. They also have the most comfortable rear seat and handles ( from what I have read)

Either a 2-up machine or a SxS is a great choice if your planning on bringing the wife along, my vote goes for the 2-up machine because it's easier to transport, and I prefer to "ride" something with some body English rather than sit there and steer..

The SxS has its merits too.. Nice ride for both driver and passenger ( like a car)... Easier to talk to each other.. They can be accesorized to the nuts.. You can haul more and tow heavier loads... But if you ever get it stuck - oh boy!!

Listen, for you guys up north there is a different or unwritten set of rules different than what we have to put up with in Southern Ontario. Quit trying to stuff something into his pocket that may cost him.

Listen, for you guys up north there is a different or unwritten set of rules different than what we have to put up with in Southern Ontario. Quit trying to stuff something into his pocket that may cost him.

Let others share their experience. That is why the thread was started.

Dan, I'm not sure those up north don't quite understand the "turn a blind eye rule" doesn't work as well here. There are different rules for the northern areas and what they can get away with. Convincing someone down here that they can do the same may cost a bunch in tickets that aren't necessary. Cheers.

you won't have any issues with a 2 up machine, unless you have a passenger on the back while riding on the road.

OPP will not enforce the 2 up rule. Most of them, if you ask, don't even know the proper answer when you ask them. I deal with them a lot at my job, and even patrol with them a few weeknds each summer. You will not have a problem, until you are ON a ROAD.

Fisherman, you need to lighten up a little.

S.

Dan, I'm not sure those up north don't quite understand the "turn a blind eye rule" doesn't work as well here. There are different rules for the northern areas and what they can get away with. Convincing someone down here that they can do the same may cost a bunch in tickets that aren't necessary. Cheers.

Yes I also suggest you lighten up.. You even came across quite harsh toward the OP in a previous post.. Remember what you type can be interpreted 100 different ways as there is no way to display ones tone or emotion..

Now, in regards to the issue.. Ok yes we have it easier up here in regards to travelling on roads as ATV's are common, and part of almost everyone's lifestyle.. But the 2 people On one machine rule still applies.. Although Chances of getting caught around here on back roads are pretty slim.. Most people get tickets during ATV rally's in the spring.

Since I'm a northern Hillbilly and I don't know where the OP would be riding, I would suggest trailering the unit - regardless of what you buy, out of town to a rural area. This will keep people from making complaints and keep the ride an enjoyable one.

Eventhough i know quite a bit about ATV's, im not going to try and sell you one ( buy a Can-Am! lol).. As every machine has pro's and Cons and there is so many machines out there to choose from. I suggest visiting mudhole . ca for some good reading in regards on what unit suits you best.

Okay you finally got the jist of the conversation. The issue is "ON a ROAD".

Oh, I fully understand the "jist" of it all, trust me. I deal with this stuff daily.

Most people who purchase an ATV, buy them with the intent of using them "off road". I've never seen the 2 up rule enforced, nor do I know of a charge laid. In fact I have ridden as a passenger, on an OPP 2 up machine on several occasions.

As long as both people have a helmet, and all the proper paper work, LEO's turn a blind eye..........until you hit a "road". Make sure and read the definition of a road in the ORVA.

Get yourself a nice can am 2 up, and take your wife for a ride anytime you want, just stay off the roads.

The ganaraska forest is a perfect place to go for a ride. Trails open May 1st for motorized use. 11,000 acres of forest, and hundreds of kilometers of trails to ride. They also allow utv's on the primary forest roads.

S.

Thanks Cliff and Moosebunk.

The cottage is south shore northeast arm of Pigeon. Not sure about major trails in the area. Should look into it.

A proper 2 UP is also a definite possibility. I'm thinking about portability on the back of a pick-up or separate trailer. Honda and Yammy don't make a 2 Up. CanAm and Polaris do. Longer wheelbase and suspension made for a passenger are things I'ld prefer. Is a proper 2 UP still not legal on roads with only 1 on board? (not meaning a standard ATV with a seat bolted on the rear rack).

A box on the back would be handy for firewood or hunting.

There are tons of ATVs on Kijiji but few side by sides.

peter

Well, you are in a good area for ATVing then. Here is a link to the Kawartha ATV club KATV

They have a good trail system and from their trails you can hook up with Haliburtons's trail system and way beyond. I am actually thinking of trying to do a trip from Bobcayegon to North Bay this summer by ATV. Get involved with the club, they are good people and love to help new members.

The Kawartha ATV club has a great website. Definitely no UTVs/S+S allowed on their trails.

Lots of 2 UPs (proper and add on) in their photo albums. Sent them an email for advice.

I spent 2 yrs buying my Lund while my Monark leaked more and more. No fun finding out you bought the wrong machine for lack of some research.

This forum is great for that reason. Thanks everybody.

peter

I was on an ATV ride in the fall. There were 4 ATVs,a 6 wheel Argo and a Ranger UTV. It was the first time I had been on a ride with a UTV. I was surprised to see how well it handled the gnarly areas with its longer/wider wheel base.

He did get hung up a few times and had to choose a different path. In all honesty so did a couple of the ATVs but they where leading and finding the best path through some of the mud holes.

It was the 500 model and had no problem keeping up even with 450 pounds of men in it. I never road in it so I can't comment on the ride. I know with the ATV when you are about to hit some really rough areas you can stand up and let your legs smooth things out.

A couple things on the negative side would be. There are other tails we travel where a UTV would be too wide. The other is the legal issue of where you can ride it. I know there has been a lot of discussion about this but I'm staying out of it. Hope this information helps you in your decision. I have attached a couple of photos from the ride.

20111029CottageATV045.jpg

20111029CottageATV036.jpg