Whitefish - wireworm rig

Jds63

Planning to head up to Temagami next week for some ice fishing and try some new whitefish tactics. I have read that many people also use a wireworm rig tipped with waxies with great success. Some info says to bend the hook horizontal … not sure you should be bending hooks …

Has anyone tried this setup for whities with any success ?

Usually the reference is to keep your bait rigged horizontal by bending the hook. An old debate to some that say a whitefish won't hit if the hook set up is hanging vertical. Been there, tried this and can't say that I ever did catch any fish on it.

For temagami put your faith in the tied and true tip up (balancing stick)rigged just off the bottom with live or salted minnows. If your fishing outside the bad boy (simcoe style) with a small tube on the end has caught me some nice whities up there.

Whities and wax worms go hand in hand around here.

I also keep my presenation horizontal. I use micro tear drops and I just move the knot so it holds horizontal.

I recommend trying a northland gypsy jig tipped withba waxie. This is deadly on whities and even lakers. To get it down there I use an egg sinker above my barrel swivel.

hope this helps a little

TDunn

Usually the reference is to keep your bait rigged horizontal by bending the hook. An old debate to some that say a whitefish won't hit if the hook set up is hanging vertical. Been there, tried this and can't say that I ever did catch any fish on it.

For temagami put your faith in the tied and true tip up (balancing stick)rigged just off the bottom with live or salted minnows. If your fishing outside the bad boy (simcoe style) with a small tube on the end has caught me some nice whities up there.

wwr.jpg

thanks Fang .. i always use the balance stick , but thought maybe the wireworm might be worth a try outside or in the hut as well

Temagami2009027.jpg

Whities and wax worms go hand in hand around here.

I also keep my presenation horizontal. I use micro tear drops and I just move the knot so it holds horizontal.

I recommend trying a northland gypsy jig tipped withba waxie. This is deadly on whities and even lakers. To get it down there I use an egg sinker above my barrel swivel.

hope this helps a little

TDunn

thanks ....