How to transfer ownership for a boat

Don't be confusing him Davey Buoy...

The boaters CARD is just that.. a useless card, it is not a licence!

The Vessel Licence is the piece of paper that matches those registration numbers on the boat.

The only LEGAL ownership for the boat.. is the bill of sale, unless you actually register a boat NAME.

If you don't have a ownership you have to go to city hall,swear to the JP(don't really swear) that this is your boat.Send that,bill of sale and fill out the service canada ownership change over form and send it all to the address attached which is in New Brunswick.

Don't be confusing him Davey Buoy...

The boaters CARD is just that.. a useless card, it is not a licence!

The Vessel Licence is the piece of paper that matches those registration numbers on the boat.

The only LEGAL ownership for the boat.. is the bill of sale, unless you actually register a boat NAME.

Just went through this myself,what a crock.

there are no ownership papers.

there is no registration.

the only thing you need to do is fill out the pleasure craft licence and do it online or at service canada.

your bill of sale is the only proof or ownership.

so forget this change of ownership and registration there is no such thing.

what are these ownership/registration papers?

a pleasure craft licence is to identify the vessel, and through that identifier, the operator that fell out of it. it is to assist in SAR. it has nothing to do with driving the boat.

Edited by smally21

Just another point. If you bought a used 'Ontario' boat, then there is no title. Some American states have title (or ownerships) for their boats and motors. So, in the US you have to transfer title, or ownership, of the boat and the motor. This is similar to what we do in Ontario for cars. But, in Ontario there is no such registration for boats or motors. It is like saying, how to I transfer the ownership of the TV I just bought used on Kijiji. So, as has been stated above, the only proof that you own the boat (or ownership), is the ORIGINAL bill of sale from the dealership and another ORIGINAL bill of sale from the person who bought it from the dealership to YOU. Obviously, if there are other intervening buyers and sellers, then you will need a 'chain of ownership' from the dealership all the way to the current vendor.

What you need to do, is register with Service Canada, that you are now the owner of the boat with certain specific numbers on the side of it. In other words, the previous owner would have applied for the boat numbers and Service Canada knows that this boat number 1234567 belongs to John Smith. When he sells it to you, then you have to advise them that you have the boat with those numbers. It's not really an ownership, its more like a tracking device.

Now, whether its required to be done or not, I don't know. BUT BE CAREFUL. Up until now you only had to pay HST on the trailer. When you advise Service Canada of the sale and request that the boat numbers be transferred to you, then you will get a request to disclose the purchase price. After that, you will get a notice from the government that you owe them HST on the whole value of the boat!!!!!!

So, maybe someone can post any reason to change over the boat numbers, but if I were you, I would leave it.

Yep... apparently only the folks in New Brunswick have the proper paper and lazer printer now! :wallbash:

It would be very easy to update or create a pleasure craft license and place in your boat without filling out the forms and going through the paperwork exposing yourself to an HST remittance request. I am not suggesting anyone commit fraud, I'm just saying what I'm thinking out loud.

No ownership papers for the boat, only the trailer.... Closest thing you might get is the registration papers with the numbers (If you can even count that)

Keep your receipts! That's about all you have as far as ownership is concerned.

So, maybe someone can post any reason to change over the boat numbers, but if I were you, I would leave it.

I’m the one that sold the boat to Dontcryformejanhrdina and yea I want him to register the boat in his name and out of mine.

I’m not saying he’s going to do anything wrong while using the boat; but if by chance he did; let’s say for example causes some form accident or is illegally doing something and leaves the scene. A witness to whatever calls the registration numbers into the cops.

Then the cops come looking for me; am I going to be a happy camper; not likely.

Dan.

I'm the one that sold the boat to Dontcryformejanhrdina and yea I want him to register the boat in his name and out of mine.

I'm not saying he's going to do anything wrong while using the boat; but if by chance he did; let's say for example causes some form accident or is illegally doing something and leaves the scene. A witness to whatever calls the registration numbers into the cops.

Then the cops come looking for me; am I going to be a happy camper; not likely.

Dan.

Haha don't worry Dan, I've mailed out the paperwork today. Should be in my name before the water opens up and I get a chance to do something stupid. tongue.gif

I still have your trailor plate, want me to mail it to you?

i think the bigger concern DAND is if they find the boat floating empty in the middle of lake ontario and the coast guard phones your wife and tells her you are lost at sea, when as a matter of fact the boat changed hands some time ago and the numbers were never updated, and its DCFMA who is actually lost at sea....

and you get home and all your stuff is gone.

and you get home and all your stuff is gone.

It already is; the boat was the last to go and the cash from it went into a new gas cook stove and fireplace. What's the saying; what's mine is her's and what's her's is her's? :dunno:

Dan.