GPS problems

wormdunker

I have an older GPS Garmin 72 which I think needs to be replaced. Brand new batteries only lasted 3 hours (good thing I carry extra batteries) although it was inside my jacket pocket most of the time. The other problem was getting me back to the launch at 5:30 -it's getting dark!!. I'm new on Nipissing, I travelled 11 miles on my quad around islands, points & bays. The area I was in has numerous Islands to navigate. To return to the launch area I put it on the "page" where U follow your trail back from where U started from. I call this a "cookie crumb trail". Very simple. Wrong! It took me to the south side of a particular Island & I should have been on the north side. Can any one comment as to what went wrong?? I also have the Navionics app ($15.00) loaded in my iphone - Good thing! Iphone problem is the app "times Out" & U have to restart your phone. I'm sure there R better GPS's on the market. Please advise. Thanx for your help

Great for letting everyone know your fav fishing hole. By all means, post it up!!!!

Iphone also includes GPS information in the EXIF data of the picture. I've found a few sweet steelhead spots by checking this.

Hey Bill

How do I access EXIF data on my i phone? Thanx for your help

Well, I have been using Garmin GPSs since they first came out and other than the HDS5 that I use in my boat I still use the Garmin MAP 76. So as far as which one to buy, I would stay with Garmin, they do have a good selection and they have made several improvements since the 72 came out.

Hey Bill

How do I access EXIF data on my i phone? Thanx for your help

You don't really access EXIF data directly. GPS location information will be added to your pics if you take them while your GPS is on.. Make sure it's off and you'll have nothing to worry about :) I'm sure there's a setting in the iPhone to exclude that information somewhere

Well, I have been using Garmin GPSs since they first came out and other than the HDS5 that I use in my boat I still use the Garmin MAP 76. So as far as which one to buy, I would stay with Garmin, they do have a good selection and they have made several improvements since the 72 came out.

Thanx for your reply, please enlighten me with the pros of the 76. Can U download maps or have to buy them. I recently purchased an app for my iphone ($15.00) as opposed to $300.00 for the chip 5 years ago for my chartplotter. Today I was on Nipissing & found navionics is awesome. Do I need a newer GPS or is the Navionics app on my phone good to go?? Thanx for your help

Thanx for your reply, please enlighten me with the pros of the 76. Can U download maps or have to buy them. I recently purchased an app for my iphone ($15.00) as opposed to $300.00 for the chip 5 years ago for my chartplotter. Today I was on Nipissing & found navionics is awesome. Do I need a newer GPS or is the Navionics app on my phone good to go?? Thanx for your help

The Navionics app is great, if you have a backup power source. The battery in the iPhone doesn't last very long with Navionics/GPS, especially since you need to increase the auto-lock time to use the app properly. I prefer my Garmin handheld because i can get a 36 hours out of a good set of lithiums or Sanyo Eneloop rechargables.

The Navionics app is great, if you have a backup power source. The battery in the iPhone doesn't last very long with Navionics/GPS, especially since you need to increase the auto-lock time to use the app properly. I prefer my Garmin handheld because i can get a 36 hours out of a good set of lithiums or Sanyo Eneloop rechargables.

dbox -help me out. how do U use auto lock, I'm an electronics amateur. Thanx for helping