Getting ready for tax time

Lunker777

Hey everyone

Im starting to get organized for tax time because with the baby on the way in the next month, I have a feeling paper work is going to take a back burner for a little while.

I bought my house in March of 2011. We totally gutted and renovated everything. Is there any thing I should be claiming for tax time ???? Just trying to get as much of my $$ back as possible.

I have put a call into my accountant but I just was curious if anyone has gone through this and what they found was the best approach

Thanks for any input

Edited by Lunker777

When we did renos years ago and took advantage of the then eco-energy rebate program the government had, we had to have an energy efficiency test done on the house (negative pressure blower test) both before the renos and then after they were all done. They then based our 'rebate' on the improvement we created in the houses overall energy efficiency. They also took into account new windows, insulation etc.

There may be specific rebates for upgrading you furnace and electronic thermostat etc.

Check the Ministry of Environment for information on rebate programs.

there is (was) an open ecoenergy audit program, it just closed, and its not like you can claim retroactively. the home renovation tax credit was a great program (basically 15% back on all renos) but that has closed as well.

im no accountant, dont think there is much you can claim in home renos outside of these special programs.

the good news is, having a kid will get you a yellow cheque from the govt each month.

the bad news is, the new kid will cost you more than the amount on the cheque......

good luck with the taxes and the new addition!

Edited by smally21

there is (was) an open ecoenergy audit program, it just closed, and its not like you can claim retroactively. the home renovation tax credit was a great program (basically 15% back on all renos) but that has closed as well.

im no accountant, dont think there is much you can claim in home renos outside of these special programs.

the good news is, having a kid will get you a yellow cheque from the govt each month.

the bad news is, the new kid will cost you more than the amount on the cheque......

good luck with the taxes and the new addition!

Its so true that $100 covers a little over 2 days worth of daycare. Of course if you make less there is a supplement.

As for your renovations do you make income off your property? Ie rent part of it out or operate a home business?.

If you do there is a potential to reduce your tax burden on the income you earned from those kinds of things from the renovations.

If you have to travel more than 40kms (one-way) for medical treatment you can claim $0.57 per km for the total kms travelled...

If you travel more than 80 kms (one-way) for medical treatment you can claim $0.57 per km for the total kms travelled and you can also claim $17 per meal...if someone had to drive you to the appointment (operation- you would not be allowed to drive for 24 hrs) you also can claim the meal allowance for them...

There are two ways you can claim these...one with receipts and the other without receipts...

Like all medical claims you only get the tax back on the total amount not the total...