your Berkley nanofil experiance

kickingfrog

I know it hasn't been a "normal" ice fishing season, but I was hoping those of you who have used the nanofil on the ice this year would be willing to give your feedback.

What pound test are you using?

How do you find it compares to superlines?

How do you find it compres to mono?

What fish have you been using it for?

What knots work?

What is the memory like?

Strength versus line diameter?

Thanks for taking the time.

Edited to add question.

Edited by kickingfrog

I've been using it for 40 hrs or more ice fishing this winter. Line is good. I bought on sale in the fall for cheap at CTC. It's white as snow, smooth, has no stretch, doesn't absorb water, stays limp, and strong as any super line. Doesn't have memory like mono. I use a uni-uni knot with floro without issue for lakers. I would buy again. I different colour would be nice - something other than white so I could see it better. I should note that 75% of the time I'm in a warm pop-up.

I've been using it this ice season and it's growing on me.

I didn't really care to cast this line, but I previously mentioned I'd love it for vertical jigging.

I used it so far for walleye/crappie. I used it alot today for crappie, in really horrible conditions too I might add.

Had three rods rigged today. One with 4lb mono, one with 10lb powerpro, and one with 8lb nanofil. Nanofil by far, iced up the least. Actually, after 12 hours on the hardwater, it had very little buildup. The PP had a little ice, but was still easily manageable, to which I was surprised (first time using a lighter test PP in ice fishing outside a shack). The mono, horrible, right back in the rod bag after a hour or so. I wouldn't say unmanageable, but way more freeze up then the other two lines.

Caught some nice fish on the Nanofil today, no issues. Zero break offs.

One thing I will say though, is loosen the drag and hand feed it in if possible. If you flip the bail and let 'er go, she'll be coiled up in a heartbeat. So, take in to consideration the depth you'll be fishing. I was in 15-23 FOW today, and it was no issue. Any deeper, and it might be a major nuisance.

Just my two scents

I have had the 10lb stuff on my new rod and reel this year. Its hard to tell given the lack of severe conditions here so far and the relatively limited time i've spent on the ice, not to mention that i have skunked 4 times now out of probably 10 'serious' fishing expeditions!

I have been using my regular braid knot...i think its a palomar...holds fine...no break offs.

Its hard to tell if it has the same sensitivity and bite transmission capabilities of regular ice braid....because i aint had that many bites to judge by....YET! Hopefully on Monday we connect with some whities and i'll be able to tell ya what i think.

So far i agree with Manitou...it does not seem to ice up as much as the braid...i like that a lot. I have not had the 'coiling' problem so far though.

All in all i'm liking it so far, although i've yet to feel like i have given it a proper workout.

I'd say the major dowwnside to it so far have been that I have noticed that it frays easily :dunno: and of course THE PRICE...way to much money for 150yrds at $20.

Has anyone tried the Duracast line from Tuff Line?

Trying to find a braid that works well in the conditions I have to deal with. :rolleyes:

The best one I have found was some blue coloured ice braid I got CTC a couple of years back.

Yup, it's the best I have used so far. The ice line and the normal box look and feel like the same stuff. I have asked around and been told it is the same stuff too...

I have one reel with #10 duracast and it doesn't ice up much if at all. I have another 2 reels with #6 nonofil and they do ice up a bit. I have found out that you need to put something on the spool to keep the line from slipping if using a metal spool. it shrinks when cold so having tape or something for the line to grip to helps.

So far, I'm happy with both lines but i think if I needed to respool a reel right now it would be with the duracast. I got a real good deal on it from Phil last week too! (etackle.ca)

Yup, it's the best I have used so far. The ice line and the normal box look and feel like the same stuff. I have asked around and been told it is the same stuff too...

I have one reel with #10 duracast and it doesn't ice up much if at all. I have another 2 reels with #6 nonofil and they do ice up a bit. I have found out that you need to put something on the spool to keep the line from slipping if using a metal spool. it shrinks when cold so having tape or something for the line to grip to helps.

So far, I'm happy with both lines but i think if I needed to respool a reel right now it would be with the duracast. I got a real good deal on it from Phil last week too! (etackle.ca)

Thanks for the 411. ;)

I have had the 10lb stuff on my new rod and reel this year. Its hard to tell given the lack of severe conditions here so far and the relatively limited time i've spent on the ice, not to mention that i have skunked 4 times now out of probably 10 'serious' fishing expeditions!

I have been using my regular braid knot...i think its a palomar...holds fine...no break offs.

Its hard to tell if it has the same sensitivity and bite transmission capabilities of regular ice braid....because i aint had that many bites to judge by....YET! Hopefully on Monday we connect with some whities and i'll be able to tell ya what i think.

So far i agree with Manitou...it does not seem to ice up as much as the braid...i like that a lot. I have not had the 'coiling' problem so far though.

All in all i'm liking it so far, although i've yet to feel like i have given it a proper workout.

I'd say the major dowwnside to it so far have been that I have noticed that it frays easily :dunno: and of course THE PRICE...way to much money for 150yrds at $20.

I've fished it enough to say the sensitivity is good, but not great like PP.

As for the fraying part, I haven't noticed that yet, but I will say it cuts easily, not like other braided lines. So I'd think you could get bit off pretty easily, moreso like a mono

Talked to Phil and got some on the way. :)

I'll be sure to post how it does in arctic conditions. ;)

90% of my ice fishing is done in -20 or colder temps so if it works well here it will work well anywhere.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the Duracast, order is on it's way.

:)

My experience: While browsing the fishing aisle, I looked at a spool of Nanofil and said to myself "do I want to spend another $20 to test ANOTHER new line that's probably not much better than what I have?" "Nope". Of course, when it goes on sale I probably will buy some to try it out :P