How Mercman saved my marriage

motion

Ok guys.....here's the secret.

Customer service. Pure and simple. Most parts companies have a call center.When you call, some young person answers the phone and asks the model number, and what part you need.Most have never seen a part in thier lives, and have never sat and had conversations with repair techs.If you are looking for advise, they freeze and say "Call a repair tech"

I started in the shipping recieving of a major parts company 30 years ago.Touching and catalogueing parts. I can picture in my mind where the part goes and what it does in relation to the other parts.

I train my people the same way.Even my wife, who does my accounting, can take calls and do look ups and is respected by the technicians who i supply.

I have a big pot of coffee in my showroom, and repair guys stop in numerous times during the day, and discuss thier calls with each other.I always take time to talk with all of them, and learn common fixs for things.

Most times i dont even need a model number to find the part. I am training my young nephew to take over my bussiness eventually, and carry on with this style of customer service. Old school is always better, at least in my type of work.

Thanks again guys. You will ALL get the same treatment when you need parts at my storegood.gif

Paul

Paul,

I was standing by a parts counter in Toronto waiting for a part when a guy came in off the street with what appeared to be a perfectly good (new) dryer belt cut (which he had bought from them the day before). He actually asked for a "splicing kit" to put it together. You see, he had to cut the belt because he didn't know how to put it around the drum of the dryer???? :rofl2: :rofl2:

Cheers.

Edited by motion

Paul,

I was standing by a parts counter in Toronto waiting for a part when a guy came in off the street with what appeared to be a perfectly good (new) dryer belt cut (which he had bought from them the day before). He actually asked for a "splicing kit" to put it together. You see, he had to cut the belt because he didn't know how to put it around the drum of the dryer???? :rofl2: :rofl2:

Cheers.

Splicer kit....OK...let me go in the back and get one young fellow...

duct-tape.jpg

Here you go.... :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Most times i dont even need a model number to find the part.

Paul

I like dealing with someone that knows their field.

Recently I was considering replacing the cushions in my truck's bunk that make up a bed (think fold down camper style table) with a mattress. I called a truck dealer in Brampton and asked for a mattress and the counter guy was stumped; he needed my vehicle serial number to look up the part. I told him it didn't have a mattress from factory (many of the same model do but mine had the 'work station option'). He said he couldn't help me, I'd have to find a serial number from a truck that was equipped with a mattress from factory.

Paul; I betting if you had mattresses in your inventory, you wouldn't need much help from the computer to find them!

Kudos to you for helping your community and ours.

Brian

The ironic aspect of this thread is that Mercman probably has saved a few marriges in his time.

Its just that he does it without having applience parts involved. If ya know what I mean. whistling.gif

Big fan of the work that you do behind the scenes, Paul.

The life is more important.You cant save a marriage, if you cant save a life.There's is at least one in here who is getting close to a year nowclapping.gif