Extra Short Panfish Ice Rods

EC1

Thought I'd share a few thoughts and start some discussion. Over the weekend, I came across this ice fishing system (Marmish) where the entire rod is 9" and the spoool has no actual reel. This is a European thing I think, Swedish or Russian.(You have to handline fish on their way in so 15FOW and less would be ok, but I can see any deeper being a problem)

rod.gif

Apparently these guys claim how great these are, and that the short rods really present a more natural presentation. Longer rods just moves the bait a lot more when compared to a little dinky rod.

And anyways, on with my story. I ended up thinking that if I am getting another panfish rod, I might as well get something way short and ended up buying a 17" ice rod. Boy that thing is small Lol. Went out for perch over the weekend, and had lots of fun with that rod in the hut.

It's almost perfect for sightfishing, as I was right on top of the hole and not leaning too far forward to look down the hole. I found it was pretty good for being closer to my fishfinder as the 3.5" screen is really too small for my likings.

The part that really lacked though, was the hookset. Since you have only a few inches of rod, you cannot afford any slack in your line on the hookset. I got the hang of that after a few missed perch. I'll also agree with the smaller movements you can give to your bait now, but I don't think this is the rod to use when the action is hot and heavy.

I think I've fallen in love with these little dinky rods. Anyone have experience with the Marmish or something similar or anyone else liking short rods like me? :lol:

6751603587_a7eea7e2dc.jpg

This makes me laugh, just looking at difference in length for the 2 rods :w00t: 17" Vs 36" FYI.

Edited by EC1

I tried my brother's panfish ice rod. Too soft. Lost fish due to the lack of hookset. And when I really yank on it, he goes "easy does it." I think a short rod is good, but

for panfish I wonder if a very hard rod is good. However, I would want to be able use the same rod in a shack for whities. What kind of rod is a good compromise?

Just saw the other thread

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59905&st=0

Jiggy

Edited by sleepjigging

I tried my brother's panfish ice rod. Too soft. Lost fish due to the lack of hookset. And when I really yank on it, he goes "easy does it." I think a short rod is good, but

for panfish I wonder if a very hard rod is good. However, I would want to be able use the same rod in a shack for whities. What kind of rod is a good compromise?

Just saw the other thread

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59905&st=0

Jiggy

To be honest with you, I don't like the idea of using the same rod for both whities and perch. If the rod is heavy enough to deal with whities, it's probably going to be hard to feel perch bites, and the fight wouldn't be very fun. If you were really tight to a budget, then you can go about getting an M/MH rod, and add a removable strike indicator and you could go at it.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one liking the short rods!

I'm gonna admit that the really short rods do look kind of weird when used in the open, but who's going to see you inside the hut ;)