Niagara Winter Chrome

Aaron Shirley

This has been a very tough winter for me so far to get out in my usual places. The Niagara has been quite muddy and Simcoe has a severe lack of ice for whitefish and lakers. It does not look good for Simcoe ice, so I am going to have to start looking at other venues if the Niagara is muddy... like trolling Lake Ontario lol.

I finally got out on Niagara on Sunday with a couple buddies Glen and Dean. It was not ideal conditions to say the least with about 1.5 feet of vis, but it was fishable. Paul Castellano told me that since the Niagara has been muddy for so long, the fish are biting as soon as the water clears a bit. Thanks for the info Paul.

We launched at Queenston and headed down river. The water did not look too bad at the ramp, but it was much dirtier outside of the water circulating the backdrift. We got into fish, but it was tough. Bright pink and chart bags worked, as did pink TriggerX eggs and corkies and shiners. It was a fun day, and I was just happy to get out! It does not look good for Lake Erie freezing to help the Niagara with clarity, so dirty water and big bright baits will probably be the order this winter. We heard the Kwikfish were also working well from others, which is typical for dirty water with the vibration.

We got into fish scattered all over the river along the ON shoreline, and we heard the US side was good. It was a beautiful January day to be drifting the Niagara :)

If you get out to the Niagara, tie up big bright bags and take corkies, shiners and Kwikfish, because it will most likely be dirty. Fishing World is open early on the weekend and has some nice bait to pick up along the way, and I am sure Bills up the mountain will have lots as well. Here are some pics from our day, enjoy.

Niagara_Jan_2012-01.jpg

Niagara_Jan_2012-02.jpg

Niagara_Jan_2012-03.jpg

Niagara_Jan_2012-04.jpg

Niagara_Jan_2012-05.jpg

Niagara_Jan_2012-06.jpg

Niagara_Jan_2012-07.jpg

Niagara_Jan_2012-08.jpg

Good fishing!

Aaron