LOTW Map

Gregoire

I am looking for a digitigal and hard copy map of the LOTW. I have browsed several web sites and have a few questions for those of you in the know.

If I buy a digital copy of the map can I zoom in and print specific parts of the map?

Which map viewing software is the best for this ?

What hard copy would be the best to order?

The reason why I am asking is because I would like to print off maps of small sections of the lake, specicifically the Northwest Angle, and be able to put them in a binder.

I have the navionics App for the iphone...is there any way I can use the app to do what I want done...I am specifically thinking of taking screen shots and maybe emailing them to myself.

Thanks for any Help

Greg

Edited by fishgreg

Another option that can be free if you know what you're doing is to get the Garmin MapSource software and a copy of US Fishing Hotspots maps(East/Central I think) or Bluechart Americas. This will allow you to take screenshots at any detail level/height and stitch them together in photoshop. There used to be some 3rd party software that would let you select a section of the map and the height you wanted and it would stitch it together for you, but I can't find it any more.

Edit: correct map name is "U.S. Recreational Lakes with Fishing Hot Spots East"

Edited by bdox

Fishgreg,

Not entirely sure if one exists but I can tell you when I lived out in Fort Frances there was an American outfit in International Falls that sold laminated maps (in sections) of Rainy Lake. I am sure that there are similar maps for LOTW. They were absolutely critical in my adventures out there for navigation, structure, and isolating locations. These maps were down to foot increments and broke up the lake into sections. If someone out that way can remember the name of the outfitters shop they can probably point you in the right direction. You will not be dissapointed with these maps...I am a cartographic freak and I loved these maps!!

If need be I can call my buddies and find out.

Fishgreg,

Not entirely sure if one exists but I can tell you when I lived out in Fort Frances there was an American outfit in International Falls that sold laminated maps (in sections) of Rainy Lake. I am sure that there are similar maps for LOTW. They were absolutely critical in my adventures out there for navigation, structure, and isolating locations. These maps were down to foot increments and broke up the lake into sections. If someone out that way can remember the name of the outfitters shop they can probably point you in the right direction. You will not be dissapointed with these maps...I am a cartographic freak and I loved these maps!!

If need be I can call my buddies and find out.

I came across some maps like this on my search online. I definitely want to get one. What I would really like is a digital version so that I can print pages and put them in a binder.

Hey Greg I ordered the map from thorne bros and will work out how you can get this on the 19th of Feb. In the interim if you work out how to get this online let me know.

John

That map looks awesome. I'm going to keep looking in to getting an online version. I'll let you know if I find anything.

The blue charts looks like what I get on my avionics for my iphone. The US recreational lakes intetrests me. Where did you get yours? Are these something that I could use on my computer print? I went to the website and it looks like I may need to invest in a garmin gps.

Edited by fishgreg

If you need, I have access to all the LOTW laminated maps.

If your stuck or having a tough time, I can pick some up for you, just let me know.

It's not outta my way or anything, and the good mapps are not too expensive

How much detail is there on the laminated maps, specifically do you know that the scale is?

How much detail is there on the laminated maps, specifically do you know that the scale is?

Fishgreg..

I am sure these are the same maps I am talking about (just LOTW)... scale wise they must be approx 1:5000??? Thats just a guess but I they are accurate and detailed. As a side note you said you wanted them in a binder...I bought mine as a set (laminated) with 3 clip rings holding the series tougether. It was basically a binder. If 'bdox' can get you a set go that route. Like I said before you will not be dissapointed.