New boat?

trevy727

Maximum horsepower rating for that hull is 150. Selling it to someone with a 50 on it is disingenuous. They should not even offer it with less than a 90. I feel sorry for first time boat buyers who may not know much about boats and are taking bad advice from sales people to get into these mismatches. That 50hp package is only 33% of the rated HP for that hull, 50hp is only 66% of the rated HP for the Xtreme 16. I strongly doubt that 50hp could even plane out that 18 foot hull. Maybe a couple of sandbags up front.

Once you get the upgrade package with a suitable sized engine then you are at the same price point as the competition. I have heard good things about Legend hulls (Smokercraft make them don't they?), but I find the marketing tactics to be unsavoury.

Is your boat an 18 Dan? I do not see a 50hp pushing an 18 foot boat 30mph. Maybe a 16 footer. If you say it does it, it must do it. You must travel light. How long does it take to get on plane? I am not doubting you by the way, just curious.

Is your boat an 18 Dan? I do not see a 50hp pushing an 18 foot boat 30mph. Maybe a 16 footer. If you say it does it, it must do it. You must travel light. How long does it take to get on plane? I am not doubting you by the way, just curious.

Mine is 16.5, that is 17.5. With just me it's on plane instantly. With a couple other guys it takes maybe 5 seconds :dunno: Never timed it. I do have smart tabs as well

My weight makes the 1' weight difference unfortunatly :lol:

Your package is at 66% of the power rating which isn't that bad.

The Xtreme 18 is only a foot longer like you say but it is a much bigger boat. The hull is 4 inches deeper, the beam is 8 inches wider, the hull is 200 pounds heavier and the capacity is 350 pounds heavier. The HP rating is double. I stand by my original assessment of the 50hp engine on that 18 Xtreme.

Percentage wise, that package is comparable to your boat with a 25 on it, which is currently half the size as what you have.

LOL too funny. We do not run an online shopping cart that a customer can simply go on click on the boat and wait for it to be delivered to their front door step. We believe in talking to everyone about a boat purchase and recommend the right horsepower for their needs. What kind of lake are you on?, How many people will be in the boat?, What is the purpose of the boat?... The list goes on and on. The salesperson builds a relationship with the customer and makes sure they have the right horsepower for their needs. These are just some of the things our dealers touch base on when talking to the customer. We do have customers that live on small lakes and the boat never leaves. So why should we try to push them to huge horsepower when they can't even go wide open.

YEP... That boat there is rated for 200HP you need 150HP on the back. Doesn't matter what your doing with the boat sir.

The marine world is filled with sales consultants that want you to have a great experience on the water. We build relationships with customers and help them choose the right boat and outboard based on there needs.

Example pricing from a competitor:

Priced with a 25Hp rated for 50HP. No idea how much more it is to get to the 85% of the recommended HP or does the customer need to max it out?

72861378.png

What is the difference between this and ours? Will the dealer talk about all the points I mentioned earlier you betcha!

Edited by Henry Nguyen

Henry, I'm sorry, but what you are offering is DANGEROUS.

A first time boat owner may not understand how UNDERPOWERED a 50hp motor on your listed boat would be.

If it's rated for a 150hp, and your "salesman" can conciously offer a 50hp motor on it - well, it says a lot about the company.

I'm quite confident any respectable dealer would never ever sell a boat with a motor that is only rated at 33% of the max hp.

Yes, your correct, a buyer can upgrade. BUT will your salesman explain that it is unsafe to purchase that boat with the "included" motor of 50hp?!

Purely dangerous.

In my mind equal to a car dealership selling a Yukon truck with breaks for a civic. You can tell them, "just don't break too hard" ... just as likely you'll tell me "it's better than staying on shore" ... but really, is it?

The LEAST you should ever rig a boat rated for a 150hp is a 90hp engine. So your "included" price should be with a 90hp, MINIMUM!

The only dangerous thing is the fact that the internet makes everyone an expert (except of course the guys that own Legends and the guy that works for Legend, they appparently don't know anything).

Henry and Dan are welded together in their opinions, and the rest of you are riveted to one idea: everything but Lund is bad (throw Alumacraft in there as well, they are two peas in a pod as are the people that will know no other).

I hope that the general boat buying public appreciates the service you guys are providing them by protecting them from the boat company who's only mission is to fill the lakes with boats that are struggling to get on plane. You guys need to find a more public vehicle for your message because it is clearly not being heard, the bloody lakes are filled with people in Legends. If only they knew the danger that they were in.

Jim

I don't think Henry is the one putting the packages together. Of course it's put together that way to make it more pleasing to the eye, every industry is guilty of this type of marketing. I don't think Henry would ever let a customer out the door knowing that the boat he sold them, knowing it's intended use was critically underpowered.

The only dangerous thing is the fact that the internet makes everyone an expert (except of course the guys that own Legends and the guy that works for Legend, they appparently don't know anything).

Henry and Dan are welded together in their opinions, and the rest of you are riveted to one idea: everything but Lund is bad (throw Alumacraft in there as well, they are two peas in a pod as are the people that will know no other).

I hope that the general boat buying public appreciates the service you guys are providing them by protecting them from the boat company who's only mission is to fill the lakes with boats that are struggling to get on plane. You guys need to find a more public vehicle for your message because it is clearly not being heard, the bloody lakes are filled with people in Legends. If only they knew the danger that they were in.

Jim

Jim, you need to lighten up...All that tension is bad for your health.

Jim

Nobody said Legend boats were dangerous; they said that a extremely underpowered boat (i.e. 1/3 of max hp) was dangerous. The only relation Legend is that they seem to be the most likely boat to be that underpowered.

I'm here to help people get on the water safely and to create memories. I love my job and very passionate about fishing, boating, meeting new customers and forums such as this one. We are not the only company that will do a base outboard and show upgrades, it's marketing. It's up to the salesperson to do their job and get the customer into the right boat for their needs. I dont know any other way to put it. If I didn't work for a marine company, I would be doing my research and look for a boat that will suit my needs and choose the appropriate horsepower for the lakes I fish on. We don't bash our competitors, they all make great boats or else they wouldn't be in this industry. Thanks to every one for reading the post. It's great information for trevy727 to decide what feature and benefit he is looking for in a boat. Rather it's Legend or a competitor i'm sure the salesperson will do his job in getting him the correct horsepower for the waters he's fishing on. :clapping:

Edited by Henry Nguyen