Okuma reels?

Minnow

Hey guys,

Was looking around the net and ebay to get a cheap reel for a light outfit for walleye. Stumbled across okuma reels, they have really cheap prices and look to be pretty nice reels! I was looking at the okuma alumina 20 and looks like a nice light reel with 8 corrosion resistant bearings, and aluminum body to reduce the weight. Seems like a decent reel and only $50 US. Here is a pic check it out

OkumaAlumina.jpg

Then upon further research found this okuma reel the halogen special edition barrel baitcaster with a 5:1 gear ratio thought it would be a great muskie reel for only $55 US seems like a bargain! Here it is

OkumaHalogen.jpg

The question is has anyone used these reels since there is only one dealer in Canada and was wondering if they are quality reels or not? I will probably get one to see what kind of reels okuma makes but so far they look pretty good! Any reviews or info is greatly appreciated Thanks!

I've use and have several Okuma reels love them . Really good for the money. I fish mostly in the surf with long cast, heavy wieght and large fish haven't had one fail me yet. Ive land several sharks in the surf and the drag is still fine.

I've heard only good things about them and for the price they can't be beat. Also you will find that the drag systems will be incredibly smooth with no actual sticking even if you crank it down. I don't think you'd be disappointed at all buying them.

I know there has to be more than one dealer that has em... I know for sure Sam at Carra Outdoors has em... I have a VSystem and love it great drag and smooth reel... as well a nemesis and it is an awesome reel too... used it for walleye last season... also have a couple more and a few of their rods... they are awesome for the price and the alumina is a good one too... definately cant beat the price on em though

okuma reels are great ive been using the convector 35,45 salmon reels and they are great for the price and sure stand up to being used very hard the alumina is a nice reel as well and wont let you down they are comming out with very good products and i wouldnt hesitate to but another one at all...and gagnons in oshawa is a okuma dealer and so is tightlines in pickering...so thats my opinion for the reels and if they can last years with salmon fishing then they passed my test...cheers

I have the Okuma Metaloid MDS-30 (Gear Ratio: 6.3:1; Weight: 11.5oz; Ball Bearings: 9+1; Capacity: 250/6 200/8 170/10; Spare Aluminum Spool included) .... bought on eBay in 2004 for $58 (shipping included).

Currently have one spool with Cajun Red Cast 8lb; the other Vanish Transition 8lb.

It's paired with my 7' 2-pc G Loomis IMX SJR842-2 (Fast Action; Medium Power; Lures 1/8-3/8; 6-12lb)

There are lots of dealers for Okuma in BC and a fair amount in AB. They are not as strong at retail in Ontario, but are gaining in popularity. The reason one may not see dealers listed is either a site that has not been updated (very common) and the fact that a lot of their business is done via fishing tackle distributors.

The product itself is decent value for the money.

outdoorguy61

Edited by outdoorguy61

I have three convector line counters 30D for musky fishing they are the cats donkey you can pull our baits in with no trouble at all when the boat is still going 4-5 MPH and they dominate the fish also I will be getting another one this year and am also thinking that I will look at there spinning and baitcast for new set ups. There are alot of people that have them JB's Anging Outfitters in Woodstock I can say I dont remember going into a place that did not have some of them.

I have 4 of the 20 Magna linecounter levelwinds for tolling for eyes here in Erie, And they are great, Used them for five seasons and so far I only had one problem with one of the reels. I use the clicker release to put out my dipsys at a slow pace when trolling, and I had to push the spool to the right for it to release line, must be something to do with thhe linkage on the switch. But other than that they have been good reels for what you pay for them.

I looked around and for the money you cant go wrong.

From what Ive seen they are extremely similar to the medium Shimano line.

Sure, if you wanna spend the 4 or 500 on a Shimano then go for it.......I wouldnt.

You can buy a small outboard for that price.