Smart Meter

Fisherman

No smart meters here..... yep, nobody smart enough there to use a smart meter on, the needle won't even budge, let alone twitch. :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Keep it up and I'll come up there and beat you with your own smart meter, smart :asshat: ....LOL.....just kidding...or am I.... :rofl2:

we just got put on the "peak time" billing this month and it's already screwed my weekends up.

my wife runs a home daycare so we are going to get screwed big time with this. I might have to get an exercise bike and hook it up to the TV if anyone wants to watch TV they have to ride the bike. kind of like Gilligan did for something way back when stuck on an island for 'power'....

Keep in mind too that if you are " locked in" with an electricity "supplier" for Kw/h rates that the time of day thing doesn't apply.. So you don't have to do laundry at midnight .. You pay a little more for hydro at night, but it's cheaper during the day.

After giving this a little more thought why are guys struggling with electric shortages.....it's that the reason for a "smart" meter....for a country that has less people then the state of Kalifornia you shouldn't be struggling or being jerked around with electric.

After giving this a little more thought why are guys struggling with electric shortages.....it's that the reason for a "smart" meter....for a country that has less people then the state of Kalifornia you shouldn't be struggling or being jerked around with electric.

Ed Zachary :thumbsup_anim: it's not that we're having shortages, hell we sell off enough to other places when they need it. Summer time a little different, ACs going like crazy. It's a political "green" thing driven by that idiot leader we have. If everybody wants 5 big screen TVs in their house and every other electrical gadget, fine, let them pay for the high rate and then some. Maybe they'll learn that the power source is not infinite. I (we) do our best at home to conserve. There are far too many out there, that "walk out of the room and don't turn off the light" if you know what I mean. Anyway, had some good fun there. Now I have to get back on my bike and crank out a few more watts. :D

After perusing this thread, I compared my typical average daily electricity consumption before the installation of a smart meter to my average daily consumption after installation of the smart meter. Guess I have to count myself lucky because my daily consumption has remained fairly constant. The only difference is what I pay for the juice. Consequently, we try to relegate high power usage activities to off peak times.

For comparison sake with Billy Bob, my last 1 month heating bill (natural gas for a high efficiency furnace as well as for my hot water heater) was $71 (actual gas supply charge was only $28), last water bill for 2 months was $131 (actual water charge was $58) while my last electricity bill for 2 months was $160 (actual charge for electricity plus HST was $96).

For comparison sake with Billy Bob, my last 1 month heating bill (natural gas for a high efficiency furnace as well as for my hot water heater) was $71 (actual gas supply charge was only $28), last water bill for 2 months was $131 (actual water charge was $58) while my last electricity bill for 2 months was $160 (actual charge for electricity plus HST was $96).

Your natural gas comparison is really probably better priced then mine....although I don't have a high efficiency furnace and I also use gas for the water heater, stove, grill and dryer my heating bill is supplemented by my wood burning stove.....I should of mentioned that....so that $60 gas bill should be a bit higher if we didn't use the wood burner....but it so nice 'N WARM (70-75) with it going... :)

Why is you water bill so high ? Seems out of line living in a area where freshwater is abundant. However you TWO month electricity bill is about par with mine.

Those idiots that call themselves the 99%'ers want to do some good....protest our high utility bills.....

Why is you water bill so high ? Seems out of line living in a area where freshwater is abundant.

My water bill includes a sewer surcharge (117% of charge for amount of water used) as well as a charge for water for fire supply (approx $5 for 2 months). In order to make our annual municipal tax increases more palatable, our municipal government transferred the charge for fire supply water from general taxes to individual water bills (more smoke and mirrors). My actual charge for water used is $1.32 per cubic meter (or $1.32 for every 264 US gallons).

Our water rates are $2.96 per thousand gallons. But then they add on a $3 per bill cycle (3 months) for Infrastructure Invest Charge.... :rolleyes:

We pay no fire supply water charge or any other taxes on our water (how did they miss that). We do have a sewer charge that is applied onto our town/county tax bill, but it's very little....I'm guessing under $75 per year...but since it's part of the tax bill I can write that off on my federal taxes.

Edited by Billy Bob

Problem is, I know you need just a wee bit more than a "couple" of deep cycle batteries and an inverter. If you plan on running anything like a Mwave, toasters, anything high current draw, your euchered. Then you need the transfer switches and all that wiring added. Unless you know what you're doing or have an electrician do it, it becomes pretty expensive.

it would take some getting used to but we do much the same for our hunt camp every year, run the generator during the day and use thebatteries all night. You may not be able to run your furnace or dryer off of it, but lights tv etc...wouldn't be a problem. move all the lights, tv's etc... to a seperate panel and power the panel off of the battery rack, and charge it at night.

move all the lights, tv's etc... to a seperate panel and power the panel off of the battery rack, and charge it at night.

problem is that is not where you are using all the power, the cost to to it would be too expensive, it would be a 200 year payback.