Gaspe Atlantic Salmon trip

Dozer

So, after chatting a bit with a friend, we are driving down to the Gaspe region to fish for Atlantics, for a week or so.

Now, I'm not exactly sure we'd want to book a lodge, checking out the prices at some of these places I thnk I'd rather do a Euro trip, also, I'm not sure we want to hire a guide, we figure that we'd go in early to mid June ( dd some ressearch on the runs ), giving us 6 months to do some ressearch. We also plan to go for 7 - 9 days, that way, we could spend a good 2 - 3 days scouting, giving us ample time to find some good sections of river to fish.

Now, has anyone ever beeen and could give us some personal experience pointers. We are going to do this trip, but we want to research as much as possible before we go.

Thanks OFC.

lots of things to look into, river permits, rod permits, regulations, pool ediquittes and taking an Atlantic on a dry fly could meen working on 1 fish for up to 12 hours and possible end up with zero fish. The rivers alone are worth seeing as you can sight fish from 30 yards away....but if your looking to catch 100% it's not ike that. It can get very expensive when you add up all things involved. Personally i'd look into timing it for the /sea run Broot trout........they fight like crazy and can get up to 8 or 9lbs. you can cut the ticker tape permits in half and have a greater success rate.

Although taking an Atlantic on a dry is every fly fishermans dream...........go into it prepared to NOT catch...and be okay with that.I spend 12 hours dry fly fishing in cape Breton and had 1 fish explode beside my fly but that was all the action for the day. I personally thought it was worth it just to witness it, but I enjoy every second on the river catching or not...........

you can't go wrong either way........................................don't count ot the Broot Trout fishing in the Nippigon area if your looking for the epic trip fly fishing. you save on all kings of things , especially on lisense and permits and ofcourse lodging.........the same drive time from Toronto to gaspe and T.O to Nippigon /river.

Beachene is another incredible Trout fishery

I'm jealous

As mentioned, fishing for Atlantics is a tough go but it doesn't mean that it isn't worth a try if you go with realistic expectations.

You might want to look at visiting the Matapedia River. I was supposed to fish it last summer as part of a trip to visit my wife's family in New Brunswick. Unfortunately the trip didn't happen and it was just my luck that the numbers were the best they've seen in decades. :wallbash:

Unlike other rivers in the area which require expensive licenses and guides, the Matapedia has a considerable number of pools that can be fished on a DIY basis, without breaking the bank.

Have a look at this link - the owner of this motel is very friendly and helpful. Their rates for accomodation are reasonable and they can supply a guide, which might not be a bad idea for a day or two to help you learn the ropes.

http://www.matapedia.com/english/fishing/fishing.html

More info on licenses as well as catch rate stats:

http://www.cgrmp.com/rates.html

Edited by wallacio

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

For the kind of money these places charge, you could do several INCREDIBLE fishing adventures. If you're dead set on tangling with atlantics, we have a phenomenal atlantic fishery here on the st. mary's river. the fishing peaks in late june and july. weathers nice, and it's barely going to cost you anything. haha. the "resources for those who can afford it" is a snooty and bourgeois means of managing our natural resources. imagine if all of a sudden people had to hire a guide to fish algonquin? :whistling:

Wow i had no idea the rules out there were so strict! If and when atlantics are successively established in lake o, will we be seeing these outrageous fees to fish for them aswell?

No,you won't see that. The salmon (East coast of Quebec) story is an ancient piece of history that was changed to profit a select few. No problems anywhere else and no problems with any other species.

There still is the ZEC situation of course but that could happen elsewhere.

I have fished a few of the Gaspe rivers and suggest you go if you like to see some truly incredible rivers. Most Gaspe rivers have drive/wade sections that you can access for a daily fee. Normally you must buy your license the night before or morning of the day you fish. Daily non res fees run $50-150/day with no guide. Guides can be booked for a couple hundred per day as well through the local ZEC office. You should contact the ZEC offices for more info. Each river has prime times too. Mid June is IMO a touch early. July would be the prime month, but runs also depend on weather, temps and rain which can vary a run by 2-3 weeks.

If you have lots of money to burn you can go through camps which normally provide lodging, food and guides (range $350-1,500 per day). There are canoe/camp down the Matapedia, Boneventure being best options. Grand Cascapedia has the biggest fish, but is the most expensive and the best water is restricted to camps where you generally need to know someone to get prime weeks, then pay and arm and a leg.

The rivers also have a daily catch limit of 2 to 4 fish and if you hit a prime day must stop fishing by law. But as noted, don't count on that. Average catch rates vary from 1 fish for 3 to 7 days fishing depending on the time of year, reach, etc.

On the positive, the rivers are crystal clear and like nothing we have locally. I'm talking 25 feet of vis or more. Deep pools and runs and you can see fish easily if they are there. The fish see little pressure and can be very aggressive. I had a teen Ats rise to a bomber 7 times once...never took it. And I lost a fish over 30 lbs in the Grand Cascapedia while my fishing partner landed a 34 lb fish.

If you find a river with a good run of fish in then I suggest hiring a guide for 1 day to learn the system and then fish it for 2-3 days to increase your odds. Knowing where the fish hold is invaluable and worth the price of a guide for a day. On a limited budget stay in hotels in each town and fish by daily permit.

Also check out the Matane River fishway. It was viewing windows and daily counts. Great to see the fish, know how many have been lifted and you can always fish pools 1 and 2 below the day by permit.

Enjoy,

John

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the resposnses. My idea was that this was a great fshing experience and something you need to experience, guess these places really know how sell. Some sites were calling it " world class fishing ", I'm sure that could be defined in many ways.

Thanks again guys for giving us the heads up, we really apprecate it. Would of hated to show up expecting good fishing, and having a hard time catchin' 'em, although we'd still have a great time I'm sure. Catching fish is one of the main factors on the trip we are planning.

Thanks for the other suggestions as well.

I would suggest a visit to Wilsons in Toronto and talk to them about your ideas, they should be able to answer your questions and perhaps help you plan your trip to Gaspe.

I fished the Miramichi and some other NB rivers for over 40 years and going Atlantic Salmon fishing is a crap-shoot. The most common thing you'll hear is "You should have been here last week" or "You're a week too early, the run hasn't arr'd yet"

You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Check out the Atlantic Salmon Federation website, www.asf.ca and you can research Gaspe Fishing.

Tight lines and Screaming Reels

David aka Superdad

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

No,you won't see that. The salmon (East coast of Quebec) story is an ancient piece of history that was changed to profit a select few.

Sounds a little bit like what going on in NOrthern ONtario with roads being blockaded to serve "remote" tourist outfitters. Nature for those who can afford it.