Which fishing year would you consider to be your very best?

Leecher

Hey Dana, I liked you, so I decided to let u live. :P

-------------------

My best year was 2008. I lived in Fort Mcmurray and had access to the Athabasca River, Lake Ath. and other smaller pike/walleye lakes. I caught 3 pike over 20lbs and one that must have been close to 30. During one trip we caught over 60 walleye and 20 pike over 10lbs from a lake near town. We laughed and cheered the entire day! It felt like a fly in trip but all it cost us was gas money and frozen minnows.

Great thread Leechman!

Edited by Rod Caster

All good years. Every one of them. If there is any that takes the cake, it's 2008.

Expected (and was) to be my last full year living in the north, every opportunity presented, I took full advantage of. It was a year of many great experiences, personal bests, firsts, friends, family and finishing touches.

In 2008 I visited my 5 favorite places... Costa Rica, Kesagami, Pym, Great Bear Lake & the Tree, as well as Nipigon.

New species that year were, marlin, wahoo, arctic char, grayling and ling. Also caught my first coaster brookie.

Fish totals were 182 walleye, 182 pike, 30 lakers, 12 specks, 7 arctic char and 39 other...

Picked up PB's in all the new species plus, a looong overdue Moose River pike PB, soft water best walleyes for the North French and Attawapiskat Rivers, a PB lake trout and PB speck.

Spent more days fishing with family than any other year, and watched on as Brenda caught her PB's, pike, walleye, lake trout, arctic char, grayling and mahi mahi.

Also managed to snap probably my favorite nature photo to this day.

With access to pics at the fingertips, in usual report mode... here's a load of 'em...

January Costa Rican Honeymoon... Marlin, wahoo and mahi mahi dream day.

costarica44.jpg

costarica49.jpg

February skidoo run from Moose Factory to Onakawana up the Abitibi River... a tour I'd wanted to do for some time. Got "an" eye and a first ling for making the long trek.

feb08-24.jpg

March on Kesagami ice. Bren scores PB's time and again, and a couple caribou walk by while fishing.

kesa08-49.jpg

Kesa08-21a.jpg

May at home with Bren we scored some time alone up the North French for a few days. Found a new fishing hole with some specks and managed a PB eye for that river.

may-open08-38.jpg

may-open08-21.jpg

June escaped with friend Stevie Z on the Moose and Cheepas Rivers. Exploring new waters coughed up PB Moose River pikes for the both of us.

may-open08-78.jpg

may-open08-84.jpg

July came and along with a group of friends, we all visited Pym Island on the Attawapiskat for the first time. It was a week long slay of big fish and soft water PB's for many...

PYM-3f.jpg

PYM-8a.jpg

Early August Bren and I lived out my dream to catch arctic char. To this day, that trip is still the pinnacle for us both...

Plummers15.jpg

Plummers74.jpg

Late August... First trip to the Nip. A roady worth the drive for sure.

Nipigon-3a.jpg

Nipigon-1a.jpg

September through to the end of the year back home I was in withdrawal for a couple months just fishing the usual eyes, pike and fallfish. Kids and Stevie joined in a few times, and so did "Red." She stayed put for my favorite shot...

Autumn08-03.jpg

Autumn08-02.jpg

Autumn08-01.jpg

Autumn08-24.jpg

Attawapiskat-14.jpg

Autumn08-47.jpg

Autumn08-45.jpg

2008 was incredible. It was made possible because of having taken the right steps with career and family during the years preceeding. It was full of amazing and rewarding times, and a great way to capture all that had been worked for and loved while on the James Bay.

Thank you guys for sharing your stories :thumbsup_anim: It's a real treat for me to read B) and enjoy all of them :thumbsup_anim:

We all have our glory moments in life and this is no exception, every one of those stories is unique and brought a huge smile on my face :thumbsup_anim:

Keep'em coming :thumbsup_anim:

1997 - was a good year over all but the real cheery was that while I was in grade 10, the teachers were on strike for 2 weeks in mid October, me & my pals did real well on the fall run of salmon & trout.

2008 - Was able to get out almost every weekend, fished with a variety of good friends on different bodies of water through the season and even managed a good streak of success in comptetive angling.

I can't decide between 1966, when I caught my first pickerel (as they were known back then), 1989 when I caught my first muskie, or 2006, when I came back to fishing after almost 20 years away.

Maybe 2007 when I caught my pb smallie, or 2008 when I caught my biggest walleye.

Each year has brought something amazing and unique, but each year has brought joy.

Sweet Todd_edited-2.jpg

Edited by backbay

I no longer do it but for quite a few years I kept a fairly detailed log of all the muskies I caught. It was just for my own personal use but I found it interesting to be able to look back and see the details.

My best year ever was 2005 when I boated 115 muskies over the course of the season.

Funny part is though, not only do I no longer keep a written record of my fish, I almost never measure them anymore and very seldom even take a picture. Normally their just unclipped in the water and sent on their way with a "thank you"

After close to 40 years of musky fish'n they all sorta look alike these days and I can't see harrassing them anymore than I already do when I hook them.

I did however take some pictures of 3 nice muskies I caught on the West Arm of Nippissing this past summer simply because my wife and daughter were both in the boat with me. We were up there on our annual 2 week trip.

I posted a story about these fish and think it was my 1st fishing report in about 3 years. Not much sense in telling a story with no pictures or measurements :lol:

024.jpg

060.jpg

030.jpg

Edited by lew

Believe it or not, 1965. I've caught more and bigger fish since then, but '65 was magical. A friend of my father's had a cottage near White River, and we got it for a week. To a 12 year-old it was heaven, and I got ton's o' bass, my first pike ever, and just generally had a blast.