Nipissing Ice Conditions

sneak_e_pete

sneak-e-pete check out the Torbay cottages website and view their beach cam. You will see the last 24 hours. http://www.torbay.net/

No ice yet. This past Sunday the marina at the waterfront was iced over with a skim, but that is gone now I believe.

This blurb was taken from the daily blog posted on http://www.greeningbay.com/index.phtml

"Yesterday we had some very light flurries and more overnight but only went down to -4 by the water. North Bay is claiming -8. It's too windy to form ice but yesterday morning part of Greening Bay had some. It's too dark just yet to see but I'm going out on a limb and saying there's a small build up of ice shards along our shoreline this morning. "

If you keep checking these 2 sites you will be kept abreast of the conditions.

Her daily fishing reports are excellent once the season starts.

My guess is it will get realy cold (minus 20s) between the 25th and the 1st. My prediction is I will be fishing on Callander Bay on the 1st. Might not have my shack out but I wuill find some safe ice. :canadian::Gonefishing:

Small chance the ice will be ready by jan 1, to be honest. We need at least a week of very cold (-20) temps to get a good sheet. Plus if it keeps snowing, the ice quality will be lower. I'd rebook for the following week or two. After that, if you want to ice fish on nip, give us North Bay members a PM.

Small chance the ice will be ready by jan 1, to be honest. We need at least a week of very cold (-20) temps to get a good sheet. Plus if it keeps snowing, the ice quality will be lower. I'd rebook for the following week or two. After that, if you want to ice fish on nip, give us North Bay members a PM.

Speak for yourself Chad. I will be fishing on Callander Bay on the 1st. The operator's are cautious about puting their commercial huts out until there is 8-10" of ice. Call the operator you are booked with and ask how late they will allow you to cancel and re-book. They may be all full for the 1st couple weeks.

Speak for yourself Chad. I will be fishing on Callander Bay on the 1st. The operator's are cautious about puting their commercial huts out until there is 8-10" of ice. Call the operator you are booked with and ask how late they will allow you to cancel and re-book. They may be all full for the 1st couple weeks.

I spoke for myself when I said "I'd re book" :) If I was organizing a trip to Nip from a distance I'd at least have a good contingency plan in place. Like u said keeping in touch with the operator is the best thing to do.

Edited by Rod Caster

last couple of years we were ice fishing here on Sturgeon lake on New Years day. The long range forecast is calling for above normal temperatures for the next two weeks, + 10 for tomorrow and nights not getting nearly as cold as normal. I very much doubt we'll be ice fishing out here by the first. There is a bit of ice shards in the bay infront of our place but it isn't solid enough to walk on. Good luck with your Nip Trip!

Nip is still open, was down at fish bay today and it was a light drizzle with ice maybe 50yds out only a couple inches. small lakes were froze enough for me to get out on monday on 4 inches of solid black, but todays plus 3 and drizzly conditions may have done them in too.

In the same boat as Pete, looking to spend a weekend on Nip with some buddies but dont really know when to book with all this warm weather we're having. Whats the latest you local guys have seen the operators get their huts out for the season? We're thinking about going Jan.13th...

Well, there isn't a spec of ice here on Sturgeon Lake today, that rain and + 10 yesterday did in what little there was. Long range forecast still calling for above normal temps for the next two weeks. Looks like this is going to be a short season for ice fishing!